1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

To anyone get accepted to Univ. of Houston

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by angelil_yu, May 5, 2004.

1. angelil_yu

angelil_yu Member
    7+ Year Member

How can you get accepted to this school? How was the interview, when did you get the interview, how do you like the school?

Please tell me you overall GPA, PCAT, any letters of recommendation and volunteer service, or pharm tech background that support you to be accepted at UH.

THank you

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. djbacklash

djbacklash Member
    5+ Year Member

I don't go there but I heard it's relatively easy to get into. I know someone who scored low 60s on the PCAT, didn't have a bachelors, had an average gpa at best (I know he retook a lot of classes), was a pharm tech, and still got in.

4. Brill

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    There are certainly harder schools to get into, but I wouldn't say it's easy. For Fall '03 acceptance I believe we had about 400 applicants, 3.4 avg GPA, and a PCAT avg somewhere in the 80's. For acceptance this year I heard we had somewhere around 1000 applicants with those accepted having higher average GPA and PCAT scores than last year.

5. djbacklash

djbacklash Member
    5+ Year Member

I guess all schools are getting flooded with applicants these days, making each more and more competitive. Good luck to you though!

6. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

From what i've seen and hear, UH is pretty competitive. They're recieved over 900 applications this year...that's a lot! And it seems like most people in Texas apply to UH (although I didn't).

7. LegaLDeaLer

LegaLDeaLer Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

honestly speaking i dont think any pharmacy school is easy to get into, with the volume of applicants that apply. UH had close to a 1000 applicants this year as some of u pointed out. they interviewed 250, and accepted 125. i woulld suggest for anyone applying to this school to apply as early as possible because they have a rolling interview process, the sooner u apply the sooner ull interview and get accepted. i got to UH and that is where i plan to start this august.
    i had my interview march 5 and got my acceptance about 3 weeks afterward. from my observation UH looks more at the wellrounded applicant, especially at how involved u are, whereas UT looks most at GPA. one of my friends who has a 3.9 GPA got rejected from UH without an interview but got into UT.

8. PharmDMD

PharmDMD Member
    7+ Year Member

Recently spoke to one of my connections at the college (the following is an estimate)

Applied: 1000+
    Accepted: 120
    Average GPA: 3.6-3.7
    Average PCAT: 83%
    >50% enrolled have BS or better. Approximately 5-10% have MS or PhDs
    Overall: Competitive Program!

Good Luck

9. UT-Frank

UT-Frank Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

PharmDMD,

You just graduated from PharmD school and will be attending MD school this year? Wow, what made you decide to go to med? Did you have a prior BS degree or did you have to go back and take those other req courses like physics and what not?

Also, do you think you had a 'better chance' persay with your pharmd and were they suspicious as to your uncertainty in career choices?

Sorry for all the questions! I look forward to your response!

10. PharmDMD

PharmDMD Member
    7+ Year Member

I always knew that I wanted to study medicine after Pharmacy. In fact, I even told my pharmacy school interviewer about my intentions. (I think I was running a pretty big risk there, so don't try this at your interviews kiddos). Actually, I had one year undergrad post high school (so I was the youngest in my class) My prepharm advisor looked at me like I was a masochist suggesting the type of schedule I did:

HS: AP courses with credits in - Biology, Government, Economics, English, Calculus, US History
    Summer after graduation - Chem 1 and 2
    College (Honors program)- Human Sit (Hon), Organic 1&2 w/L, Psych, Stat, World Civ (3000 level Hist), Law and Society (3000 level POLS), Micro w/L (took PCATs Dec '99) accepted UHCOP (Spring '00)
    Summer pre Pharm- Speech, Sociology, Art History
    Started Rx School--
    PharmD year 1 summer- Physics 1&2 w/L
    PharmD year 2 summer- MCATs, Research, and Infectious Dis Elective
    PharmD year 3 summer- Rotations & Applied for Med School
    PharmD year 4- Got Accepted UTMB
    Post Grad- Getting stuff ready to go, took NAPLEX/MPJE, work for $$

I initially thought that getting in would be easier with a Doctor of Pharmacy degree, but I was forewarned that Tx schools don't take kindly to other health care providers (esp new grads) trying to enter the medical world (unless you've got a reason that doesnt have BS written all over it)
    I told em basically I wanted to take care of patients and that I felt in choosing a premed major, Pharmacy would provide me with unparallel experience and training. I didnt bash Rx at all on my PStatement (I respect and treasure pharmacy completely and plan to practice during med school, residency, and even PRN post training), some would say I made it sound TOO good (lol). I was really involved in Rx school so that helped (President of Pharmacy Council (student Gov) and Rho Chi (Rx Hon Society), Senior Editor of College Newspaper, Chairman Dean's Student Advisory Council, Class Treasurer, SSHP Historian, VAPSS/APhA Student Mentor, College Ambassador)
    and the research I completed with a colleague in 2nd year Rx school got published in an international journal (Pharmacogosny and Medicinal Chemistry)

I worked hard, but I still attribute much of my success to the Big Guy upstairs who's definitly intervened in guiding me in this little path. Medical Committees WILL definitly be curious to your intentions (but if you're sincere and you truly want to study medicine, then that should be enough) You still have to have the academics to back it up though (30+ MCATs, 3.7 Rx GPA, 3.65 Undergrad GPA, graduated 4th in my Rx class) If you're considering being the few, the proud, a PharmD/MD and have further questions feel free to email me and I can offer any advice I can.

Good Luck!