To anyone who has taken a UNE Distance class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
UNE = University of New England School of Osteopathic Medicine

The school says classes are 16 weeks, but students may finish them in less time, as it courses are self-paced.

For anyone who has taken a class up here, how long did it take you? Is it reasonable to think someone could finish in 10 weeks?

Members don't see this ad.

I took biochem and orgo 1 + online lab. Biochem took me longer than the 16 weeks alotted but they are cool with extensions up to 9 months total (I could be wrong about this). I was taking physics 2 and genetics at the time and working 50+ hours a week so I was very cautious about rushing this course because your only grade was the final exam so I extended for 3 weeks to study hard for the final. Orgo took me the 16 weeks since I took my time with it.

Im sure you could finish in 10 weeks but I would make sure that you have everything down cold because the exam is long and pretty difficult. I ended up getting 69/92 on the final but the curve is generous and gave me a B+.

I took biochem and orgo 1 + online lab. Biochem took me longer than the 16 weeks alotted but they are cool with extensions up to 9 months total (I could be wrong about this). I was taking physics 2 and genetics at the time and working 50+ hours a week so I was very cautious about rushing this course because your only grade was the final exam so I extended for 3 weeks to study hard for the final. Orgo took me the 16 weeks since I took my time with it.

Im sure you could finish in 10 weeks but I would make sure that you have everything down cold because the exam is long and pretty difficult. I ended up getting 69/92 on the final but the curve is generous and gave me a B+.

Thanks for the tip.

I'm torn, I can take gen chem in person, but the class is 45 minutes away from me..which makes for a lot of driving. I also work full time and have other obligations, so I'm a bit weary about the intensity of a 6 week class, studying, etc. on top of that. Online seems a bit more attractive to me at the moment..I just need to be finished by late August, so its a tough call.

Members don't see this ad :)
Registered for Medical Biology I on 3/27. Just finished it on 6/15 with a 98%. Could have finished it much quicker had I worked as diligently. Realistically planning to finish up Medical Biology II in about 3 weeks-time :)

Took both Gen Chems and O Chems through UNE. Had a great experience and learned a lot. Must be a strong self directed learner. The professors will help you via email but be prepared for still not knowing what the heck is going on. Google is your friend. Seek out resources online like chads videos. Great help.

But I still will warn you that just because they are online and exams are open book/open note, its not that easy. I ended up with As and Bs but worked hard. But that doesn't dissuade me from recommending them highly.

I took Org. Chem 1 and 2 with them. I finished organic 1 in one month while working over 50 hours a week. I was taking a test nearly every day.

I took my time with Org Chem 2 beause I already had my acceptance to med school and this was my last class to finish.

Took both Gen Chems and O Chems through UNE. Had a great experience and learned a lot. Must be a strong self directed learner. The professors will help you via email but be prepared for still not knowing what the heck is going on. Google is your friend. Seek out resources online like chads videos. Great help.

But I still will warn you that just because they are online and exams are open book/open note, its not that easy. I ended up with As and Bs but worked hard. But that doesn't dissuade me from recommending them highly.

What makes the test(s) difficult, considering they are open book/note?

Organic chemistry is difficult anywhere, and even though UNE is online the tests are still proctored either at a testing center or via a live representative who watches you via webcam (to ensure you aren't using the Internet, friends, etc. for help).

But I don't think that UNE's course is necessarily more difficult than any other organic chemistry class.

For one, the book they provide sucks. And the questions are not the type you can search the book to find the answers for. To be honest, the book only helped for maybe 1/4 of the exam. That leaves a lot for you to actually know and comprehend. I learned a lot in the class.

Reactions: 1 user
I've registered to take O. Chem I and noticed that the syllabus uses the 3rd ed. (2002) of Carey's Ochem, but the latest edition is the 9th ed. (2013). May anyone that has taken this course comment on their experience with this text? It seems to me that that is quite a substantial gap and there may be pertinent information in the field of organic chemistry that simply couldn't have been incorporated in the 3rd edition.

I took orgo 1 + lab through UNE and the best thing that you can do to supplement your sort of self-directed course is to get a copy of "organic chemistry as second language". It is around $25 on amazon and it is a terrific source that will greatly help you with this course. You may need to buy both the 1st and 2nd semester of this book because orgo 1 and UNE covers aromatics and biological molecules which is in the 2nd semester book of organic chemistry as a second language.

I was able to use this book as well for the final exam as part of the open note/book exam.

I'm in Medical Bio 1 through UNE distance learning right now and the final is 70% of our final grade and is not open note/open book and is proctored. Anyone else go through this? I am taking the final in a couple days and am very nervous about so much of my grade being determined by one test.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going back an fourth trying to decide if I should take these classes, how was the class overall? What made up the other 30% of your grade? And can you please let us know how the final goes?

the other 30% is made up of 10% Homework grade (online questions that go along with the etext that are based on completion) 10%module quizes and you have 15 modules each with a quiz at the end. 10% lab quizes. each module has a lab that goes along with it and you use a lab kit provided to do the labs at home

Im hoping the final is mostly questions that are similar to the quizes I have already taken but I really have no idea how specific these questions are going to be.

Registered for Medical Biology I on 3/27. Just finished it on 6/15 with a 98%. Could have finished it much quicker had I worked as diligently. Realistically planning to finish up Medical Biology II in about 3 weeks-time :)

any input on how your finals went?

just took the final. It was pretty reasonable, I did not do as well as I wanted to - got an 87% on the final and went in having a 94% in the class and ended up with an 89% total in the class. I was really hoping for an A because it is a pre req. Unless the final is curved looks like ill have a B for the class, only one point away from an A.

just took the final. It was pretty reasonable, I did not do as well as I wanted to - got an 87% on the final and went in having a 94% in the class and ended up with an 89% total in the class. I was really hoping for an A because it is a pre req. Unless the final is curved looks like ill have a B for the class, only one point away from an A.
Ohh man, ugh that sucks! I'm sorry. How long did you study for the final, and how long did it take you to finish the class all together? -- sorry for picking your brain so much, lol, and thank you for getting back to us!

I am in the medical physiology class right now and shockingly it is easier than my lecture course from my university. The class is only four tests and some labs that take maybe 5 minutes a piece. If you are willing to read the book and study it truly is an interesting class to take.

can you just take a general chemistry class? how many units are these classes and is it semester or quarter?

if anyone needs labpaq, message me!! I have a brand new one!!

Has anyone taken the ochem2 lab final yet? what is the best way to prepare for it?

UNE = University of New England School of Osteopathic Medicine

The school says classes are 16 weeks, but students may finish them in less time, as it courses are self-paced.

For anyone who has taken a class up here, how long did it take you? Is it reasonable to think someone could finish in 10 weeks?

I'm taking the biochem course right now and I'm on week 10 material 5 weeks into the course. I'm also working 40 hours a week and volunteering 7 hours a week. So if you really have the free time available, you could definitely finish under 16 weeks.

I just finished taking almost the entire pre-health course track through UNE, which includes gen bio, gen chem, orgo, physics, and biochem. It very expensive but definitely saves you time if you delegate the right amount of time to study each week. For those that do not know, all of the exams are proctored and some may allow cheat sheets (huge win if you are like me and you make little notes for yourself throughout the lecture material). If anyone plans to take any of the course just shoot me a message and I can share with you any of saved course material or offer general advice.

I'm just getting started w/ Physics 1, but I'll take any cheat sheets/notes, etc you've got to share. secondscalpel at gmail. Thanks!

I am in the medical physiology class right now and shockingly it is easier than my lecture course from my university. The class is only four tests and some labs that take maybe 5 minutes a piece. If you are willing to read the book and study it truly is an interesting class to take.

Hi there what is the percent of the total exams that is part of your grade? My syllabus says 30% of the exams are toward your grade what does that mean? please help

I just finished taking almost the entire pre-health course track through UNE, which includes gen bio, gen chem, orgo, physics, and biochem. It very expensive but definitely saves you time if you delegate the right amount of time to study each week. For those that do not know, all of the exams are proctored and some may allow cheat sheets (huge win if you are like me and you make little notes for yourself throughout the lecture material). If anyone plans to take any of the course just shoot me a message and I can share with you any of saved course material or offer general advice.

HI there I am taking medical physiology1010 and I have 2 more physiology exams. I did very bad on the 1st exam. It was 15 questions timed with 25 matching and timed. Do you know how the physiology exams 30% is calculated in the final grade? I am worried

I'm just getting started w/ Physics 1, but I'll take any cheat sheets/notes, etc you've got to share. secondscalpel at gmail. Thanks!
I am about to register for Physics I. Any pointers for me? I'm assuming you're nearly finished with the course. I am finishing up BioChem with them right now for anyone wanting any pointers.

I am just beginning this course through UNE. I have always struggled in my science courses and would be interested in any study materials or tips you may have to be successful.

Thanks