1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

To apply or not to apply...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Smitty3L, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Smitty3L

Smitty3L Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have fallen victim to the August MCAT. If I go ahead and take the April MCAT I will probably get a ~30. Taking it in August I am pretty sure that I can get ~35. My GPA is really low (3.2 or so) so I need those extra points on the MCAT, although I do have an upward trend starting last summer. So in light of this I am trying to decide whether or not to apply this year or wait.

Another thing to consider is that I am currently in a two year allied health program. I am working on my bachelor's degree in nuclear medicine. I will graduate in 2005.

I'm not shooting for top ten schools or anything. My only option really is to stay in state and U of Okla. is not ultra competitive.

I know having my application held up by the august scores will put my application at a disadvantage, should I just wait and apply when I am almost done with my bach degree (would that look better than applying so early in the program)? Also as a reapplicant next year my application would not be much improved, the GPA might be as high as 3.4 by then, but the big improvement would really be the fact that I could get it in early.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adapt

Adapt 2K Member
    7+ Year Member

First off a 30 is a good score. Secondly, I don't think you should be so confident as to think you can get a 35. That's scoring in the 90th percentile which is in itself difficult.

I would recommend also applying to OSU-COM, the DO school. It is a good school and you'd get to stay in Oklahoma.:thumbup:

I think you should take the April Mcat, get your 30 and apply in early June. You'll have a decent shot.

4. TheRussian

TheRussian Life Size Mirror
    7+ Year Member

One thing to keep in mind with the MCAT is that it is a lot easier to go from 25 to 30 then it is to go from 30 to 35 so don't be so confident that you will be able to get it up that high. That being said, I think that your application could be improved by you waiting a year to apply. Getting your grades and MCAT up will help you in the application process. Plus you'll have another degree under your belt. You might be able to get in this round with your numbers but it will be a lot more stressful.