To apply or not to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

casebycase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I just graduated from ugrad, and I'm set to attend a SMP at Tufts this fall. My stats are around average from looking at accepted student profiles from med schools and I have plenty of research experience, but no clinical experience. My application is pretty much ready to submit, but people have been telling me that it may be better to wait until next year. I wanted to apply this year to a few schools mostly for the experience since I didn't want to be too busy while also trying to balance schoolwork for the SMP, and I feel that I would definitely have a better application next year.

It is worth applying even ED to a school this year? Or would it be more beneficial to just wait until next cycle to apply?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I just graduated from ugrad, and I'm set to attend a SMP at Tufts this fall. My stats are around average from looking at accepted student profiles from med schools and I have plenty of research experience, but no clinical experience. My application is pretty much ready to submit, but people have been telling me that it may be better to wait until next year. I wanted to apply this year to a few schools mostly for the experience since I didn't want to be too busy while also trying to balance schoolwork for the SMP, and I feel that I would definitely have a better application next year.

It is worth applying even ED to a school this year? Or would it be more beneficial to just wait until next cycle to apply?

Thanks

Define the bolded line.

From what I have learned, going ED is for those who have a compelling reason to attend a specific medical school (more than just because your application is lacking something)

I think you should wait. Let alone having no experience now, I think you'll even be at a disadvantage next year with only a year of experience (but at least then you'll have something)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Save yourself some money and stress by waiting until next cycle. The no clinical experience could hurt you this cycle and is easy to remedy before next year.

I'm set to attend a SMP at Tufts this fall. My stats are around average from looking at accepted student profiles from med schools.
If your stats are around average, you do not need an SMP.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

Thanks

1. with average stats, you don't need an SMP.
2. without clinical experience you won't get in.
3. applying "mostly for the experience" is foolish. plan on applying ONCE, with your best application, and getting in.

Reactions: 4 users
The point of an SMP is to raise your grades for application...why would you do one and apply during the same year? You'd have nothing to show for it. Get clinical experience this coming school year. If you can't handle that along with school, you'll have a hard time during medical school.

I just graduated from ugrad, and I'm set to attend a SMP at Tufts this fall. My stats are around average from looking at accepted student profiles from med schools
I share the concerns raised. If your GPA is already competitive, you are taking a risk by engaging in an SMP. If the grades earned are not excellent, you risk having an unsuccessful application cycle in the future.

Hi,

Thanks

3risbcx.jpg

As above... If your stats are good, doing an SMP is a bad idea. If your clinical experience is lacking, you need to improve that aspect of the app. Applying to schools "for the experience" will put you at a disadvantage when you need to reapply in the future.

Reactions: 1 users
You should really talk to your advisors at an SMP before deciding whether or not to apply. At some SMPs, this is a viable strategy and many people get accepted during the SMP year. At others, they will strongly advise the exact opposite. What they say about your program specifically and how they tend to do, no one on SDN who hasnt done Tufts program can tell you.

In general when in doubt yes it is best to wait till after the SMP cycle. And if your UG GPA is low this is even more true.

If your GPA really is competitive doing an SMP all your doing is gambling your potential future with big amounts of money but without much of any reward. Sounds pretty self destructive to me

Last edited:
Without clinical experience, your app will get flushed down the toilet. My student interviewers would eat you alive.

What are you going to say when asked how you know you are suited for a life of caring for the sick and suffering? “That you just know”? Imagine how that will go over!

Here's the deal: You need to show AdComs that you know what you're getting into, and show off your altruistic, humanistic side. We need to know that you're going to like being around sick or injured people for the next 40 years.

Here's another way of looking at it: would you buy a new car without test driving it? Buy a new suit or dress without trying it on??

We're also not looking for merely for good medical students, we're looking for people who will make good doctors, and 4.0 GPA robots are a dime-a-dozen.

I've seen plenty of posts here from high GPA/high MCAT candidates who were rejected because they had little patient contact experience.

Not all volunteering needs to be in a hospital. Think hospice, Planned Parenthood, nursing homes, rehab facilities, crisis hotlines, camps for sick children, or clinics.

Some types of volunteer activities are more appealing than others. Volunteering in a nice suburban hospital is all very well and good and all, but doesn't show that you're willing to dig in and get your hands dirty in the same way that working with the developmentally disabled (or homeless, the dying, or Alzheimers or mentally ill or elderly or ESL or domestic, rural impoverished) does. The uncomfortable situations are the ones that really demonstrate your altruism and get you 'brownie points'. Plus, they frankly teach you more -- they develop your compassion and humanity in ways comfortable situations can't.

Service need not be "unique". If you can alleviate suffering in your community through service to the poor, homeless, illiterate, fatherless, etc, you are meeting an otherwise unmet need and learning more about the lives of the people (or types of people) who will someday be your patients. Check out your local houses of worship for volunteer opportunities. The key thing is service to others less fortunate than you. And get off campus and out of your comfort zone!

Examples include: Habitat for Humanity, Ronald McDonald House, Humane Society, crisis hotlines, soup kitchen, food pantry, homeless or women’s shelter, after-school tutoring for students or coaching a sport in a poor school district, teaching ESL to adults at a community center, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, or Meals on Wheels.

Hi,

Thanks

Reactions: 1 users