To apply or not to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kingston99

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
After a bit of research in the residency programs, most programs state a minimum step scores. So should I bother applying to programs that have a score I would not "qualify". Basically how seriously are these minimum score filters taken?

Members don't see this ad.

After a bit of research in the residency programs, most programs state a minimum step scores. So should I bother applying to programs that have a score I would not "qualify". Basically how seriously are these minimum score filters taken?

Very. You will probably be filtered out before they even see your application.

As an IMG needing a visa, the parameters are likely pretty stringent, even for programs that have IMG residents. It's not always true for US grads--my program has been known to show leniency on Step 1 scores if there is something else notable about the application such as significantly stronger Step 2 score, or strong clerkship grades and comments. Something to indicate that the Step 1 score is an outlier and shouldn't cause undue worry that this applicant isn't able to perform well on exams.

I had a very low step 1 (definitely below 220, also below 210 reported for some programs) but I definitely had interviews at places that listed a Step 1 screen on FRIEDA. I think there's really no way of knowing unless you try. However, I am an AMG and may have gotten a lot of slack there, so YMMV.