to apply or not to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jai87

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
major: molecular and cell biology
cumulativeGPA: 3.62 scienceGPA:3.53
MCAT:
8/08 32 PS:11 V:10 BS:11 writing:O
4/09 30 PS:10 V:10 BS:10 writing: P (i thought i would do a lot better this time around but i guess i was wrong. i was going through a lot of emotional distress during the month of april. is this drop going to significantly affect the way the look at my application?)

no research experience but worked at a lab for 2 years
lots of community service(both medical and non medical)
lots of involvment with my fellowship(leadership positions)
summer missions trip to uganda
acapella group/band for 2 years

LORs should be good. not GGGGREAT. but good.

self-proclaimed disavantaged group socioeconomically: had to work 15+hours per week since freshman year to support myself and a part of my earnings also went to support my family as well.

i am a CA resident and my first choices would be to stay in california: UCLA, UCI, USC, UCD... (i think stanford and UCSF is waaay out of my league).

so the question is, should i apply this year? or should i wait another year... i guess just doing more hospital volunteering and possibly research. ahhhh so conflicted~

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have enough of a chance that applying this year is reasonable. I would not have confidence you´d get into a CA school, but who knows. Apply broadly though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you'll get in somewhere, but maybe not a CA school. Why did you retake a 32?

i had been getting mid 30s on my diag and i thought i could do a lot better. I wanted my MCAT score to be a strong point for me. but.... yyyyyea..... that went down the drain...

so i should apply boardly? i really really want to stay in california...

anyone else?

i had been getting mid 30s on my diag and i thought i could do a lot better. I wanted my MCAT score to be a strong point for me. but.... yyyyyea..... that went down the drain...

so i should apply boardly? i really really want to stay in california...

anyone else?

Yes, you need to apply broadly. Your GPA is average and your most recent MCAT is below average.

Yes, you need to apply broadly. Your GPA is average and your most recent MCAT is below average.

do you think i should retake my MCAT? hmmm
should i wait another year and do some research to make up for the academic weakness of my GPA and MCAT score?