chill45

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
Status
Dental Student
Well after applying for two cycles I can tell you that you never know what certain schools are looking for in an application. I've been surprised about some schools interest in my app and surprised that other schools weren't interested. I will say that if you plan on pursuing it to go ahead and apply this cycle, at least to a couple schools you are really interested in. Even if you don't get in you will at least have one cycle under your belt so that next year you can show them you are still interested in their program (i.e. dedicated to pursuing dentistry) and ideally show an improvement in your application. I know many many people who it took two or three cycles to get into school (including me) and I think that is mainly because they (we) did not have the highest grades or DAT scores, which makes sense. A school is usually going to take the highest grade applicants they can get, but once they get to the point where the applicants start having identical scores and grades it just makes sense to take to the person that is reapplying vs. the person who is applying for the first time (at least I think so). So the point is i think it is in your best interest to go ahead and apply to a couple of schools as opposed to waiting so that you can at least show improvement and dedication for next year's cycle.

Oct 27, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Status
Pre-Dental
What schools were you thinking of applying to??

It sucks that you have to retake Org 1 and at least get a "C", and it is CRAZY how some schools such as Tufts wont accept anything lower than a "B".

and is your science GPA a 3.3 or your cumulative GPA?

OP
Allaboutteeth5

Allaboutteeth5

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
Well after applying for two cycles I can tell you that you never know what certain schools are looking for in an application. I've been surprised about some schools interest in my app and surprised that other schools weren't interested. I will say that if you plan on pursuing it to go ahead and apply this cycle, at least to a couple schools you are really interested in. Even if you don't get in you will at least have one cycle under your belt so that next year you can show them you are still interested in their program (i.e. dedicated to pursuing dentistry) and ideally show an improvement in your application. I know many many people who it took two or three cycles to get into school (including me) and I think that is mainly because they (we) did not have the highest grades or DAT scores, which makes sense. A school is usually going to take the highest grade applicants they can get, but once they get to the point where the applicants start having identical scores and grades it just makes sense to take to the person that is reapplying vs. the person who is applying for the first time (at least I think so). So the point is i think it is in your best interest to go ahead and apply to a couple of schools as opposed to waiting so that you can at least show improvement and dedication for next year's cycle.
That's what i was thinking of doing! I originally was going to apply to 20 schools this cycle but since I didn't pass a prereq i was thinking maybe 7...and it does make sense what you're saying. I think if someones really passionate they won't give up and i think that means more than a really good gpa who applies on a whim

OP
Allaboutteeth5

Allaboutteeth5

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2012
Status
Pre-Dental
What schools were you thinking of applying to??

It sucks that you have to retake Org 1 and at least get a "C", and it is CRAZY how some schools such as Tufts wont accept anything lower than a "B".

and is your science GPA a 3.3 or your cumulative GPA?
i just looked at their webpage and it said encouraged to not get below a B but i think that's crazy!! And seeing their stats i doubt that's a strict rule they enforce

arlmay

5+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field], Dentist
I agree with most of what you said apart from schools preferring an applicant that is reapplying vs a first time. I don't think it's the principle of them reapplying often times, but having had to reapply they probably have made improvements to their application such as research experience, shadowing, community service, etc.