To Apply Top Notch or Save Some $

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

holladrindahz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are my stats.

- 3.82 GPA
- 3.90 Science GPA
- 32R MCAT (BS:13 V:9 PS:10)
- 1.5 years Patient Care Tech
- 3 years research
- Undergraduate Biology TA 3 years
- Biology Club Service Chair
- Youth Softball Coach
- Various Volunteer Work (Science Enrichment, Hospital, Etc.)

Not too familiar yet with the whole process. Wondering whether or not I have a chance at top notch schools such as Stanford, Yale, etc. with my mcat. Or should I just save my money.

Any advice is much appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you try to apply to just a few (1-3?), since the process is pretty random you may get into a top-notch school!

Average MCAT scores for matriculants from the MSAR for these top-tier schools is 35Q.

I know for sure that Stanford states that if you are not at or above the national mean you should not even try...0_o National mean is 33?

Besides the numbers, write a great personal statement, have excellent LORs and ECs. Research experience especially with publications is a big plus when applying to the top-tier schools.

Good luck with your application! :)

You have a chance at getting into one elite Medical School, but the 9 in VR does hurt.

In the grand scheme of things, applying to a few elite schools is not going to set yo back that much financially. I'd pick five or so that you like the most and apply.

My advice is first apply to a set of schools that gives you the best chance of admission to at least one school. This would include all the public schools in your state (unless they're too competitive relative to your stats) and the middle tier private schools.

With your stats, your chances of being accepted to at least one school is very high so long as you apply to the right set of schools and in a timely manner. Once you have this list ready, just throw in the elite schools that you like the most and hope for the best.

I would say it's worth applying to the elite schools, since attending one of them does provide opportunities you might not received at other schools.

I'd highly recommend Jefferson Medical College (PA), which is not necessarily considered an elite school but has excellent Residency and Fellowship programs (some of which are amongst the best in the nation). Its admission standards are tough, but typically not as high as Yale, Stanford, etc. Good luck!