To ask, or not to ask questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sidekick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. When a professor encourages you to let him know if you have any further questions, what kind of questions would be appropriate to ask - or would it be better to say thank you, and hold off until "real" questions pop into your head? I'm thinking of how to reply an email from a prof I'd like to work with.

He also said he had lots of exciting projects in the coming years, but I wouldn't want to be nosy and ask about them...or would it be a good idea to ask?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends-- is he a talker and does he want to share this information or does he seem quiet but asks for more questions so he can say that he asked but would rather be left alone? Watch and observe. He won't mind if you wait to warm up if he is a friendly guy and if he's not-- well, he will hope you don't and won't care.

That's what I'm wondering, Pekoe. I can't really tell, because it was just a line in the email. He said he was interested in hearing about my specific research interests, so I'm drafting up a paragraph about that. I know I could "close" it (our exchange) with a simple email of my interests, a note about no further questions, and a thank you, but I'm not sure whether I should do that or ask a q, as the latter would open things up again, and necessitate one more response from him, and one more in return from me.

Boy howdy, this is silly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Honesty's best, always, so I wouldn't be looking for questions just to ask him because he put it out there. If you have no further questions, you have no further questions.

If you're honestly interested in his future research questions, then yes, it would be fine to ask him generally what they may be about...

Sometimes, this is why email isn't the best form of communication to have a "connected" conversation with another person. You really don't know what is going on with the other person in this kind of exchange (is the professor just being polite, or...?).

-J

I'd let him know my interests (he asked), and then I'd ask about a few of the upcoming projects, maybe 1 or 2 basic questions. If the prof chooses to go into more depth, great! If they choose to just say something very bland/basic....they may not want to share more. Like john said, sometimes it is hard to fully know what a person means via e-mail.

-t

Of course it's not nosy to ask about his "exciting future projects." As a general rule of thumb, professors always love being asked about their research. If you don't ask, you may seem uninterested!

All right, everyone, I went ahead and asked! He responded with a quite large paragraph about future research interests and projects, agreeing my interests might be a good fit. Again, he asked me to let him know if I had additional questions, and also added his office number, which I could call to talk about his lab with him. He also asked me to let him know if I'd like to chat with some of his current students, so he could set me up for that.

So, um, this sounds pretty cool - except I have no idea what to do next. I get this really strong feeling that calling him up would be tantamount to an impromptu interview, and as I don't even have a draft of a PS, I'd rather not have everything fall apart in a single conversation with the guy. What do you all think? Time to send the thank you, and close things down for now, or should I take him up on the phone/other students offers?

This makes me long for the impersonality of med school applications. At least there, you aren't in direct contact with your potential mentor, with the added potential of saying the wrong thing before even submitting your application. :lol:

If he is providing you an opportunity to learn more (and he of you), then I'd strongly considering taking him up on the offer. Take a step back from the "you are a student" and "he is the professor". If someone voluntarily provided you their #, and they encouraged you to inquire further, then I'd think that they think enough of you to inquire further.

You can take some time to review some of the things you are looking for, and maybe some intelligent questions to ask about his work. You are commiting to nothing else but a phone call to find out some more information. Don't think of it as an interview, just go into it with the intention of learning more information, and sharing a bit of your information. One of the best things I learned in the biz world is that relationships make the world go around....without them, nothing would get done. Think of it as an opportunity to further explore a possible academic relationship (not mentor-mentee). If there is a natural fit, then you now have an opportunity you previously did not have.

-t

Thanks, -t. I called this morning, and, well, it wasn't bad. I was kind of nervous, and might have sounded like a giggly schoolboy on the line. Also, I sort of hung up without quite saying goodbye (he said bye, sidekick right as I put the phone down, having said bye earlier)...but again, I'm probably just overthinking this stuff. In the end, a phonecall shouldn't make or break an applicant's chances unless it brings an admissions decision, after all.

Just wish I'd reminded myself to stay calm during the call. And maybe think up intelligent questions. I didn't want to ask straight out "what can I do to get into your lab next year", but I couldn't think of smart ways to ask that indirectly. Oh well. We'll see how it goes.

The guy sounds like a trip-- he just wants his students to be interested and love the art and science of psychology as much as he does. Giggly school boy? Hey-- if he can throw a few logs on your intellectual fire he'll be happy to start a bonfire! This is the best kind of professor.

If I can tell by how you described things by now - it sounds great. you are doing exactly what you should to get a head start. try not to worry about how you sound, etc. as long as you're polite (and i'm sure you are) you'll do fine. i would also take him, up on his offer to talk with one of the students. that way you can speak freely to someone who isn't a "big proffessor" who will also see him in the office the next day and say, you know what, i talked to XX the other day and he sounds great.
just remember that when interview time comes you'll probably get a half hour or so, so this way you get as much air time as you need, and he'll be sure to look at your application differently.

gl