To assure getting a good Residency.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zealous

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Sorry if there is already a thread like this but can you current MS's offer advice, book titles, and any guidelines for us new MS's on what to do to assure obtaining admittance to a good Residency program. Obviously, getting good grades is one but I'm looking for any other info such as, being involved in programs or doing summer fellowships. Thanks, we would really appreciate it!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest purchasing a book like "Iserson's Getting into a Residency" or "First Aid for the Match" before you start medical school to figure out what you need to do. A lot of it is just like getting into medical school, get good grades, get good LORs, and research helps but is not essential.

THANKS!!! Anyone have any other suggestions or books I should find? Come on, 302 views and only 1 response. I guess everyone thought that I was giving out the info....SORRY!!!:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Good grades and Great USMLE Step I wil carry you a long way.

Don't let anyone fool you about USMLE Step I. It is only thing that matters as a preclinical medstudent. So how can you do well in step I? Get straight A's in your preclinical years. It is the best way to prepare for Step I. There are no review books in the world that can substitute your strong preclinical grades to prepare you well for the board period.

USMLE scores are extremely important period. You should spend your whole first two years thinking and dreaming about this baby.

Average or poor USMLE step I automatically eliminates you from certain specialties. USMLE does matter and may be almost only thing that matters in some specialties (with some exageration):)

Study like you never studied before. Don't goof off!

What do you think are good USMLs to get into ER residency programs?

Sash, I've always heard to be competitive with EM, you should aim to "beat the mean." It's not as competitive as dermatology, but it is competitive. Only a few handful of slots didn't fill last year.

Of course if you're aiming for programs like Vandy, MGH/BWH, Hopkins, etc., then you should probably be at the upper end of the curve.