To attendings and residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jt1577

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Im new here and have a question for the pros or soon to be. I am an amputee wheelchair user looking to go to medical school (hopefully next fall) and was thinking about my interest, PM&R being one. Now being that I am in a wheelchair, very independent, but need to think about the long haul, would a career in PM&R be attainable physically using a wheelchair? I know it might limit me in some areas such as surgery etc but will it for this? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, Im new here and have a question for the pros or soon to be. I am an amputee wheelchair user looking to go to medical school (hopefully next fall) and was thinking about my interest, PM&R being one. Now being that I am in a wheelchair, very independent, but need to think about the long haul, would a career in PM&R be attainable physically using a wheelchair? I know it might limit me in some areas such as surgery etc but will it for this? Thanks
It is very doable. I had a classmate in residency who has C7 tetraplegia (complete) and works in private practice currently. Your med school will make adaptations, but there is little that you will be unable to do.

Many have gone before you. Contact AAPM&R (http://aapmr.org/) and they can likely hook you up with someone who can give you some specific information, or specific people who have done it. If anyone here knows a disabled MD, perhaps they can PM you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome guys, I really appreciate the replies. I figured I would at least check in here, Im trying to keep an open mind, but going through serious rehab in the past myself kind of puts PM&R as a front runner, as I really think my experiences can help people. Thanks

I think we call all agree that PM&R attracts applicants with disabilities. We have attendings who are in wheelchairs as well as med students... it's extremely doable. Good luck!

i know a good number of attendings who use wheelchairs ranging from SCI, osteogenesis imperfecta, myopathy, etc.

Residents have graduated from RIC with SCIs and other disabilities without any issue. If physiatrists can't make accomodations, who can? And all rehab hospitals need to be accessible, right? :)

if u want to contact ppl, pm me and i'll get u in touch w them

Agree w/ everyone above. PM&R residency and practice with a disability is completely feasible. Many, many examples. But as you have alluded to, you may come across barriers during med school, other clinical rotations, and possibly even internship. Recommend getting in contact with someone early in med school, who can assist you in recognizing these potential obstacles sooner rather than later, and help guide you in overcoming them.

Your personal experience will inspire many people, including patients.

PM&R is great of course, but for the sake of reviewing your options I have seen other med school graduates, who are independent at wheelchair level, go into psychiatry, radiation oncology, and pathology.

I agree with making sure you have an understanding with your institution first, having everything in writing to show that they will make the appropriate adaptions.

Good luck!