To be chem major or to be bio major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YankeesfanZF5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Right now I am a typical bio major with chem and psych minors and I am really dreading having to take some bio classes.... plant classes, ecology, cell bio, etc. So I am looking at taking a chem major and also having a psych minor. The upside to this is I like chem and the Professors at my school rock. So I was thinking about doing the chem major and taking some bio classes to help me with MCAT and med school in general. Was thinking of just anatomy, physiology, microbiology. Anybody do it this way? Recommend it? Downside to this is I would take my MCAT senior year because that is when I could take biochemistry. But I hear gap years are cool and some kids just take some fun classes also their fifth year. Anybody think their chemistry background helped them in medical school? Think the extra bio classes are a good idea?

Members don't see this ad.

You're dreading taking cell biology, and you want to be a physician?

I've got some bad news for you......

Reactions: 4 users
You're dreading taking cell biology, and you want to be a physician?

I've got some bad news for you......
Think it will be interesting just one of the toughest bio classes at my school. Mostly don't want to take ecology or plant whatever.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMHO, a chemistry major will better prepare you for the MCATs. Obviously, depends on your University, but I think a major in chemistry makes it easier (due to mandatory classes) to obtain that critical vision of physics into chem into orgo/biochem into cells into organ systems understanding of biology that is so valuable on MCAT day (and probably in medical school, but ask me that in four years...). That said I loved chemistry, so P. Chem was a blast for me, and while valuable for quantitative reasoning and critical thinking, it can be a real GPA killer if it's not your thing...

Reactions: 1 user
My Biochem major was very helpful for the new MCAT. Lucked out on that addition to the test. That being said, I loved it. P Chem was brutal, but I made it through. Don't choose a major based on what you think the adcoms will think or how med schools will perceive your decision. Choose something you love.

Reactions: 1 user
My Biochem major was very helpful for the new MCAT. Lucked out on that addition to the test.

I was actually a biochem major as well, but through the chem department - hence, my post. Definitely ace for the new MCAT. I'm also finishing up grad school. While doing a PhD is a colossally silly thing to do to prepare for the MCAT, I'm pretty sure one would do well to keep up with research literature that interests them, because reading all of those papers all of the time and actually working through the scientific process for four years definitely was essential to my success to preparing for the MCAT. That and outlining Lehinger as review - if I were tutoring someone, I would make this a requirement. But, OP you should really major in whatever interests you the most, the more interested you are, the better your GPA. Even if that means theater, history, or poli sci, etc. You can take the extra biochemistry and chemistry as elective courses to prepare for MCAT / medical school. I can't say from experience, but I think the consensus is that they will teach you human biology and medicine in medical school...

EDIT: spelling errors :(

Right now I am a typical bio major with chem and psych minors and I am really dreading having to take some bio classes.... plant classes, ecology, cell bio, etc. So I am looking at taking a chem major and also having a psych minor. The upside to this is I like chem and the Professors at my school rock. So I was thinking about doing the chem major and taking some bio classes to help me with MCAT and med school in general. Was thinking of just anatomy, physiology, microbiology. Anybody do it this way? Recommend it? Downside to this is I would take my MCAT senior year because that is when I could take biochemistry. But I hear gap years are cool and some kids just take some fun classes also their fifth year. Anybody think their chemistry background helped them in medical school? Think the extra bio classes are a good idea?
I'd recommend thinking a bit outside the box, and considering something like a psych major, as long as that's feasible given your school's requirements and your progress so far. Best decision I made in undergrad was going with an unconventional (and admittedly much easier) major

I'd say Biochemistry > Chemistry > straight Bio major

Doesn't particularly matter. Do whatever will get you the highest GPA and you'll be in a good place for medical school; what's important is that you get in. Noting can truly prepare you.
pro-tip: that's not going to be a science major

Chem majors require way too much math. You'll have to work WAY harder to get a chemistry major. Just do bio, you'll probably get a higher GPA. Classes can prepare you for a test, but studying for a test will help you a lot more.

Chem majors require way too much math. You'll have to work WAY harder to get a chemistry major. Just do bio, you'll probably get a higher GPA. Classes can prepare you for a test, but studying for a test will help you a lot more.

If you can handle chem you should be conceptually prepared for whatever the mcat throws at you