to be or not to be...a chair letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternationlDoc

Imported like a Ferrari
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing away rotation at a prestigous Rads department, now coming to an end. I am torn between asking this attending I forged good relationship with and know that he/she will write me a great letter (with resident input)+case report vs. a big name letter. This big name person I shadowed only once in reading room and we spoke briefly about radiology etc.

So should I get the big name letter (I just cannot convince myself that it is going to be a personalized letter) vs. the attending I mentioned above (who is in academics in the department + on selection committe) but is not well known.

Advise

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the way to find out of the big-wig would write you a good letter is to be straightforward when you ask

"Would you feel comfortable writing me a STRONG letter of recommendation?"

If you notice them flinch or hesitate, don't proceed, then ask the other person. You never know, some ppl might not care about writing letters. But they say that a generic letter from a big-wig is meaningless.

I would go for the close relatioship letter. Maybe if you had spent two days in the reading room with the bigwig it would be a different story. But I'm just a fellow student so what do I know.