to be or not to be.......a pharmacist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by CBITLAHA, May 17, 2007.

1. CBITLAHA

Pre-Pharmacy
    when i was little i wanted to work in a pharmacy - i liked the smell. Right now am in college doing pre-pharm. I want to be a pharacist i cant imagine doing something else, pharmacy was always my first choice, BUT i don't like chemistry. I think am more into biology and anatomy&physiology, i hate my chemistry class right now :( .
    If i don't like chemistry then is pharmacy the wrong field for me?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I would say just because you don't like chemistry doesn't mean you won't like or even understand pharmacy. Consider chemistry a necessary evil. There are certain concepts that will only be understood with a good fundamental knowledge of chemistry. However, anatomy/physiology, especially physiology will also be just as vital. If you enjoy a/p and bio, chances are you can chug through the chemisty, trying to keep an open mind, and still be a perfectly good pharmacist. Now that's not to say you can't branch out and see if something appeals to you even more. Maybe focusing on pharmacy the whole time has narrowed your vision and something else would be even more enjoyable to you. That's a journey you'll have to make on your own. But the answer to your question is no, not liking a subject is not the same as being inept at it. If you were completely inept at chemistry the answer would be somewhat different.

4. Omegadramon

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I liked the smell, eh?

lol, I like that statement....I really do....lol

5. krsnyf

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    me too :scared: :rolleyes: :laugh: :laugh:

6. piyi

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student

Yeah, I'm not crazy about chemistry either. I actually like organic chem better than inorganic, but I still wouldn't take the courses if I didn't have to. Now I just love learning about physiology (biology is interesting too) and that is one of the main interests that drove me to pharmacy. I also just like working in a pharmacy.

7. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory

Pharmacist
    Couldn't say it better - there are certain obstacles you will meet along the way - and only you can decide whether or not they will stop you. If you want it - you will make it.

Case in point - Organic II + me... hahah - it wasn't pretty, but I'm still here

~Above~

8. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The type of chemistry you will be doing after Gen Chemistry is very different. You may want to go and sit in on an organic chemistry class or even a drug interaction class. I have sat it on some pharmacy classes just to see what it was like. It wasn't that beneficial but it was interesting to me.

9. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hated Organic Chemistry with a passion. Med Chem, however, is my favorite class. Don't ask me why. You might find yourself in the same spot. Keep going. It's worth it.

10. bigdogc

5+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

11. cystapharm

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    so is medicinal chemistry more like on the general chem side or biochem side? most people who hate general chem ended up liking ochem or vv. i've never taken biochem though.

12. abr

abr
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I cannot tell you whether or not you will like pharmacy if you do not like chemistry, as I am still in the beginning of my pre-pharmacy course work.

BUT, I want to tell you that if you feel like you might want to change or if you are having doubts, it is not too late. I, like you, knew exactly what I wanted to do since I was three years old. I always wanted to be a veterinarian. But, this year, I discovered that the career was not for me (mainly due to the lack of free time, low pay, and the danger in the equine field -- I would be very unhappy if I did not have enough time for my own horses). I love chemistry and medicine, so I have decided to go into pharmacy. I am still working towards my B.S. in Animal Science, but I think the choice to switch to pre-pharmacy was a good one for me.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

13. Farmercyst

Pharmacist
    For me it was not as intense as biochem, fewer biomolecules involved (or at least only a specified set of biomolecules rather than an overview of all them). There were a few acid base problems pH=pKa + log of [A-]/[HA] and such. We needed to know common cleavage sites as drugs are metabolized, structure function relationships, etc. It really was kind of a stand alone class as far as I was concerned. It had some biochem, some ochem, some biopchem (enzyme kinetics type stuff).

14. CBITLAHA

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanx everyone :)

15. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Medicinal Chemistry is more like Organic than anything else. I hated Organic but I somehow ended up liking Med Chem-figure that one out. Basically in Med. Chem you study a class of drugs and you look at their structure activity relationship what this means is you look at the structure of the medications in an attempt to identify what characteristics of the molecule makes this class of drugs do what they do and from there you might be able to figure out what characteristics of Drug X make it more potent that Drug Y. Although Med Chem is more like Organic you do use Biochem when you talk about receptors and antagonists vs. partial agonists etc. Be sure you remember your acid base chemistry, you'll be amazed how often pKa comes up!!! At Butler Med. Chem. is taught along side our Pharmacology course so that the material we are learning about in Med. Chem. coincides with what we are learning about in Pharmacology which is quite helpful.

16. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

+1

17. Farmercyst

Pharmacist

I'm sure yours was more in depth than my Chem 500 2 unit elective at my Undergrad school.:)

18. RX CARE

RX CARE Eye Have You!!
    10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Medicinal Chemistry IS Biochemistry......actually, kinda the second phase of Biochemistry. Undergrad Biochem majors and P1 students in med chem here at temple use the same textbook. Ironically, the undergrads do it more in depth than pharm students. That's why I believe I am well prepared for med chem with my BS in Biochem. The only difference is that with undergrad, some chapters are randomly skipped, while the pharm students do the ENTIRE book!
    However....maybe it's just temple......I dunno.....

19. ButlerPharm.D.

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    We use Foye's Principles of Medicinal Chemistry. Our Biochemistry was more focused on metabolic pathways, enzyme kinetics etc.

20. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Yay for Foye's. Sounds like our classes are set up similarly. Ours is a Med Chem/Pharmacology combined course too. Goes by the name "Principles of Drug Actions". Loved the Med Chem. Loathed the Pharmacology.

21. ButlerPharm.D.

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Our class is also called Principles of Drug Actions...interesting.

22. StringTheorist

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    ditto here. no worries, very few of use REALLY like chemistry:laugh:

23. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Odd. I'm glad it's over, personally. Med Chem by itself next semester. Pharamcology with a different teacher, too.

24. golfmontpoker

golfmontpoker I hate chemistry
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I liked the smell of Toys-r-Us as a kid, but I believe a career in toys would be pretty dead end...

25. Arcella

Arcella Protozoa :)
    2+ Year Member

:laugh: That smell was absolutely marvelous as a young child.

26. Idesiretosling

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    You wanted to work in a pharmacy as a kid??? What was your childhood like?

27. ButlerPharm.D.

5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I've got one more semester of Principles of Drug action left!!! Do you guys take 2 years worth also?

28. SaveThisLabRat

SaveThisLabRat $700 Billion Dollar Woman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    :laugh:

Up until a year ago, I said I would never work in a pharmacy. I hated pills. The sound of them, the smell... but here I am!

29. Rxbound

Rxbound Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Nope, just one semester of PDA. Next year, the courses are split.