To Be or Not To Be

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KJ

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so i have this epiphany that took almost four years in the making.....I'm ready to go for it...and prepare for applications to osteopathic schools.... The problem is that I'm nervous....especially about the MCATS.
I've been practicing physical therapy for 3 years...graduated top in my class with a cum. GPA of 3.87. I got the referrals and have the opportunity to do research with some orthopods....but the MCATS and the importance are really leaving me alittle apprehensive...I would really like to hear from some of you and your opinions on my chances for admission (planning to take the MCATS in APR) and some pointers,...by the way this website has been really useful in answering alot of my questions.

Members don't see this ad.

What are you undergrad stats like? Do you do any research? Volunteering? Make sure to kick some serious a$$ on the MCATs!

Mig

I've taken the MCAT twice and studied independently for it both times. My first scores were not stellar and I've yet to hear on my second scores. If you're good at disciplining yourself to make serious study time, the MCAT isn't that difficult. The challenge with the MCAT seems to be mastering a large, though relatively basic body of scientific knowledge and applying it in the form of a passage-based standardized test. Take as many practice tests as you can, especially in the month or so leading up to the test! I'd also recommend "Complete Preparation for the MCAT" (formerly the Betz guide) and/or the Columbia review study manual. The best book for Verbal Reasoning is Columbia Review's Verbal Reasoning Powerbuilder. If you're still anxious about taking the MCAT, I think the cost of a prep course would be a good investment - if I had it to do over again, I'd definitely have taken a prep course (I still might), despite the cost (note that there are often scholarships available for these classes, however). Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
kj,

i am in a very similar boat as you. i too am a physical therapist, having just under 2 years of experience. i took a prep course and without a doubt it helped me to study and identify all the areas i needed to learn and improve for the mcat. it had been a while since i had seen any physics, bio, general and organic chem, so the course really helped me. interestingly enough, my knowledge of anatomy, physiology, and different systems from PT school helped as well. don't underestimate what you already know!

Use Kaplan.

I was out of school for 6 years; took Kaplan (from Nov to April; one night a week---give yourself the time to absorb: don't cram it)

Score: 35-R (11V, 12P, 12B)

Got accepted at WU/COMP for 2000. The pressure's off... (for now!)

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

Dang paul! Thats a SWEET score! Hey did you know that you are the FIRST student to be enrolled at WUCOMP this year? When I went to the OMAC a couple of weeks ago they said they have enrolled ONE student so far and Sept 14 will be the first group (ME). Funny huh?

Mig

I AM the first,

I AM the only,

I AM the ONE!

(and , if you haven't guessed, I AM completely kidding !
smile.gif
)

You certainly are the perceptive one, Mig---it is true: my sources confirmed for me that, at the recent COMP OMAC (etc., LTD, XYZ PDQ...), it was announced that they had only accepted one person so far for the class of 2004, so I guess that would be me.

I did go early decision, had OK mcat's, grades were ok, had some research exp., some volunteering.... you know the deal. I enjoyed the interview with the faculty there, and came away from it -knowing- that I had made the right choice in choosing Western University.

T-1 year and counting... (!)

PS. Am I going to be seeing you at western next year, Mig?

------------------
-PB (Western Univ./COMP '04)

"Never give in, never give in,
never, never, never, never..."

-Sir Winston Churchill, 1944

[This message has been edited by Paul's Boutique (edited September 13, 1999).]

Paul- you crack me up. Congrats on the acceptance, oh mighty one. LOL

Sara

Paul: I have an interview tomorrow so we'll see if I go next year!
smile.gif

I hope so though.

Mig