To Biochem or not to Biochem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkitty

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just how much of a benefit would having biochem in undergrad provide in medical school?

I'm currently enrolled for it this Fall, but am mostly taking it because MSUCOM (one of my top choices) requires it. However that OOS tuition is becoming a much bigger issue, as my desire to do HPSP is waning.

My premed adviser said the first month of med school is basically biochem, so having the prior exposure would be nice, but just how nice would it be?

Any thoughts?

(wonder if I should have posted this in the students forum...)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it helps. For me, previous exposure to a subject helps a lot when I'm re-learning it. I'm trying to study for the new MCAT now just in case things don't pan out this cycle and having taken biochem before cuts the learning curb, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Upon searching (brain-farted and didn't do that before posting - sorry!), definitely seems like taking Biochem is the advice. Also apparently KCU and DMU require Biochem. So ya... guess I'm taking Biochem.

I can't speak for everyone, but I think it helps. For me, previous exposure to a subject helps a lot when I'm re-learning it. I'm trying to study for the new MCAT now just in case things don't pan out this cycle and having taken biochem before cuts the learning curb, in my opinion.

Definitely agree with this. Multiple exposures is kinda my mantra, and what I think helped me a lot on the MCAT (not to mention just throughout my schooling).

Dont take it for medical school as that will render only some help in the first 3 weeks of school. Take it more for some content help on the MCAT. Im speaking from experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it. It seems more and more schools are now requiring it now as a prereq

Lol premed advisor. I never took biochem in undergrad and I am glad of that. Don't take it if you don't have to.

To the above post:
b2a9dd7671552c70287f1d4c8effe652.jpg

If you have the money and time, DO IT.

1) Biochem (usually upper level) and shows you can take harder classes. My biochem prof was also the biochem prof who also taught at an MD medical school.
2) It is recommended by MOST schools.

some of you make it sound like BC was just a walk thru the park

Many schools have started requiring it this year. You should take it, don't leave any options off the table.

It's a walk in a park with a pet tiger on the leash. If you worked hard, you can tame the tiger.

That is an apt description :thumbup:

To the OP, take biochem.

You will be bombarded with anatomy, histology, microbiology/immunology, biochemistry, genetics, physiology (and OMM), all in your first semester in medical school. Previous experience with any of these subjects will help tremendously. I sometimes wish I've had taken histology and anatomy in undergrad so I wouldn't have to feel so lost in the beginning.

Taking the new MCAT w/o Biochem is a bad bad bad idea.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm pretty set on taking it (cosmos willing and nothing comes up).

I've already whooped the MCAT, so I'd be taking it for MSU, KCU and DMU admissions requirements, prior exposure prior to first year, and having another upper level science class under my belt (along with A&P). Plus I likes learning.

Seems like a win-win-win to me.

Plus many students will have taken it because of the new MCAT, so you probably wouldn't want to be behind many of your classmates from the start