SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

To buy or not to buy

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Jaba, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Jaba

Jaba S.mutans 5+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Canada
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Cyca24

Cyca24 2+ Year Member

Dec 27, 2006
    Las Vegas
    I'd say pass. Study off of the Barrons and Kaplan books or your regular class textbooks. Use TopScore to get a feel of the test. I've heard about Destroyer, never used it, but people say it's good. Avoid those things that seem to have all the secrets, I think they are just a waste of money when you already have good resources at hand (bio, chem, ochem books).

4. onamission

onamission 2+ Year Member

Feb 26, 2007
    ..... I bought it last year and it wasn't worth it. It arrived as a packet, it wasn't even professionally bound. There was nothing in it that anyone
    applying to dental school doesn't already know. Obvious test taking tips like timing yourself in practice exams, picking key words out of a question, etc. Follow the tips Cyca24 posted.

5. Jaba

Jaba S.mutans 5+ Year Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Canada
    right on... Thanks for the heads up!

6. Turnerjo13

Turnerjo13 Ski Bum 2+ Year Member

I agree. It was not worth it. Some of the tips even contradicted kaplans suggestions. There is no actual study information just. test taking tips.

7. soswank

soswank 2+ Year Member

Mar 31, 2006

I second that.

8. IcemanDDS

IcemanDDS Dr of Dental Shadowing 10+ Year Member

Jul 1, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    There's no secret or easy way around the DAT. Either you know the information or you dont. I didnt think the questions were unreasonable.

9. Indie

Indie Member 2+ Year Member

May 2, 2006
    Florida
    Just to add, I used Destroyer and it was really great.. Well worth the $$.. It is a testing tool to apply your knowledge, but it points out a lot of your flaws and shows you where you made mistakes.. For refresher material, I used Kaplans blue book and anything i wanted more indepth info on I hit up the college text books.. I used Topscore to get a feel of the computer format and taking the test under timed conditions, but I didnt like the questions they asked and their explanations were just awful (telling you to visit campbells bio pg XX for an explanation, the edition they wanted you to consult was like 7 years old too!!)

10. Drill2Fill

Drill2Fill DentalStudentWannabe 5+ Year Member

Mar 20, 2006
    Tejas
    Just use topscore, dat destroyer.