Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

To CLEP or not to CLEP?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Allopathic [ MD ]' started by nanodoc, 09.26.14.

1. SDN is made possible through sponsorships and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. nanodoc

nanodoc 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have a dilemma, should I CLEP out of Chemistry 101 & 102? Basically, I want to CLEP out of CHEM 101 & CHEM 102. I am planing to take Organic Chemistry I & II and BioChem I & II during the Spring 2015 /Summer 2015 semesters. How will medical schools view my having used CLEP to complete Chemistry 101/102? If I do really well in Organic I & II and BioChem I & II, will my having taken the CLEP for Chemistry 101/102 adversely affect my chances of admission? Assuming I do really well in all of my other science courses, will medical schools view my using CLEP for Chemistry I & II negatively?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. SnakeOilForSale

SnakeOilForSale Everyday I'm hustlin 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You should check with schools you're planning to apply to, I believe that some don't accept CLEP for science prereqs. Besides, if you can CLEP out of it, you can probably get an easy A in it.

4. NoDakDok

NoDakDok 2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Is there a particular reason you wish to CELP out of the courses? The courses you are planning to do this for are fundamental pieces of the MCAT, which is profoundly important. Additionally, actually taking the courses (even if boring) will give you a strong GPA that increases your chance of admission greatly. Unless you take upper level Chemistry, you truly will not touch on many concepts taught in General Inorganic Chemistry through coursework in Organic and Biochem.

Not rushing your prerequisites is a win-win for both your GPA and MCAT, which as mentioned, are profoundly important. Unless there is a particular reason you would like to skip these introductory courses (e.g. wish to graduate in 3 years, take coursework you would otherwise not be able to complete before graduation, etc) I would not advise skipping them, even if the schools you wish to apply to accept CELP.

I'm certain that there will be differing opinions on this, of course. While this is more of a do as I say not as I do, I strongly recommend taking the path of least resistance when possible.

5. Strudel19

Strudel19 5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    I would just retake the courses. Taking gen chem that extra years reinforces things even further, plus, you get a little extra GPA padding.

About the ads