To current psych residents, need your help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Danica

Hit the road Jack
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be starting an externship May 29 to get USCE and I'm worried if I will be able to perform to their expectations.
My major responsibility will be doing intake of new admissions and I scared witless.

Need guidance.
Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Um...

I think you made a spelling error. Shouldn't witless have an "SH" instead of a "W"?

Anyways, my reccomendation is to buy Psychiatry On Call. Its a good 1st year's handbook on what to do.

Only other thing I can reccomend aside studying some psyche before the job starts is to brush up on H&P and mental status examinations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember, with your white coat on, they'll be more scared of you than you are of them.

Find a good template/checklist to keep in front of you the first few times--just to remind you to ask all the really important questions, and to give you something to pretend to be studying for a moment as you gather your thoughts when you feel stuck.

Then--the most important thing I tell my students--just be curious: What are they experiencing? What is that like? How often does it happen? Does it mean anything to them? How do they spend their days? Where do they live? Where did they grow up? Who is important in their life?
30 minutes later, you'll have a nice picture of the patient to present to your attending, and you'll have learned how to develop rapport.

Good luck.

u must be dan1 from the other forum.

u know who i am. i am the helpful one. however i am more civilized in this forum as it does not have "your gang" on here.

my first few intakes were tough. but i got the hang of it. if u can, on day 1 take a few follow ups and get the hang of progress notes. or ask to watch somone else do an intake. if u can, just observe till u feel comfortable. ask other externs, students, and others for advice. if you dont know something dont pretent to know it. just ask. people are really helpful in this country.

what externship are u doing? which setting? save c/l for last as u will be less supervised. inpatient is the best one to start with. u wont be able to do much urself in outpatient. a psychology student at this point can handle those cases as we are not trained in psychotherapy in med school.

try child psych if u get a chance. it is totally different feel. also do er pscyh.

good luck.

also go to http://www.usmleforum.com/files/forum/2007/4/184326.php

also i have to prep myself for residency. my first month is neuro. what should i do?

Hey sga

No. I am not dan1, but I read his post.
Seems like he's not a big fan of yours :hardy: .
I'll be in the new england area.
I won't say where because this hospital does not have a regular externship program, but it was arranged for me through a contact at the hospital.

good luck. also check out first aid for the psychiatry clerkship. it was designed for ur purpose.