To Defer or not to Defer...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calvinandhobbes

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm strongly contemplating deferring my admission until next year and was wondering what your opinions on this were?

I actually don't have a set plan on what I would do next year, but for some reason I'm compelled to defer to perhaps study or volunteer somewhere. The fact that I don't have a set plan works against me, but the vast majority of those I have spoken to on the matter have said that deferring is an excellent decision.

Any thoughts? Do any current med students regret not deferring?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

calvinandhobbes said:
Hey all,

I'm strongly contemplating deferring my admission until next year and was wondering what your opinions on this were?

I actually don't have a set plan on what I would do next year, but for some reason I'm compelled to defer to perhaps study or volunteer somewhere. The fact that I don't have a set plan works against me, but the vast majority of those I have spoken to on the matter have said that deferring is an excellent decision.

Any thoughts? Do any current med students regret not deferring?

Thanks
I absolutely 100% recommend deferring if you're coming straight out of undergrad. I was in a similar spot (ended up applying a year later rather than deferring) and it was seriously the best decision of my life. It's a great feeling to be free from school and financially independent. Not to mention this allows you the time and money to do all of the fun things that want to do during the prime years of your life. Nobody I know regrets deferring, but I know many people that regret not deferring. Good luck! :thumbup:

Bluntman said:
I absolutely 100% recommend deferring if you're coming straight out of undergrad. I was in a similar spot (ended up applying a year later rather than deferring) and it was seriously the best decision of my life. It's a great feeling to be free from school and financially independent. Not to mention this allows you the time and money to do all of the fun things that want to do during the prime years of your life. Nobody I know regrets deferring, but I know many people that regret not deferring. Good luck! :thumbup:

hey, thanks for the advice. what exactly did you do in your year off?

Members don't see this ad :)
calvinandhobbes said:
hey, thanks for the advice. what exactly did you do in your year off?
Got a real job (I got a research position, but only cause I get off on that stuff - I'd suggest doing something you enjoy), went to Vegas a bunch, ate out at restaurants instead of eating Ramen, lived in a much nicer place, bought a bunch of toys, bought nice clothes, read for pleasure, went to the beach a lot, traveled.

One of the best parts for me is not having to always have school/hw/studying on your mind...now when you get off work your top priorities become 1) Where shall we get some dinner, and 2) What fun things should we do tonight?

... went to China, but isn't it quite difficult to defer? Don't you need some significant oppurtunity? I had the impression that medical schools aren't exactly easy-going with the idea of letting acceptees defer.

OwnageMobile said:
... went to China, but isn't it quite difficult to defer? Don't you need some significant oppurtunity? I had the impression that medical schools aren't exactly easy-going with the idea of letting acceptees defer.
Some schools are harder than others, but usually all it takes is a little confident sweet-talking.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade but it may be a little bit more difficult than just deciding on whether to defer or not. Alot of schools require a compelling plan on what you plan on doing with that deferment year and would be unlikely to grant it if you don't have a plan for what you would be doing set in stone. That being said I am taking a year off after undergrad right now though I didn't defer just delayed applying and very much look forward to getting out of the school mindset to recharge for a year.