To Defer or not, what would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMonkey

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I was admitted to Medical school as an early admit, and have contemplated if I would like to defer or not for the past few months (a deferment option has been granted to me). I would likely do humanitarian work in Haiti, and possibly travel to some locations that I have always wanted to see. I am also young, 21. However, I know that I would have individuals in my class that are friends of mine if I go next year, and that would be great. Anyway, just wondering if any of you have defered in the past? Also, were you happy with your decision?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I was admitted to Medical school as an early admit, and have contemplated if I would like to defer or not for the past few months (a deferment option has been granted to me). I would likely do humanitarian work in Haiti, and possibly travel to some locations that I have always wanted to see. I am also young, 21. However, I know that I would have individuals in my class that are friends of mine if I go next year, and that would be great. Anyway, just wondering if any of you have defered in the past? Also, were you happy with your decision?

If you have been granted a deferral you should travel and do the fun stuff that you would like to do prior to buckling down in med school.

Defer.. you'll never feel as unburdened as you do now, with undergrad done and med school to look forward to. Might as well make it last a year.

As for the friends, you can always make new ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
Defer. I took some time off between undergrad and entering med school this upcoming fall to go overseas, work, and just relax a little. Best decision I made, and if I could have done it without having to worry about applying and getting into med school the whole time it would have made it that much better. You won't regret it, sounds like you've got some amazing opportunities at hand, plus if you're worried about your friends, you should still be able to keep up those relationships even across years (and it might be nice to have some friends ahead of you to throw back nuggets of wisdom) and you'll meet tons of new people in your new class that you might not otherwise if you go in with a tight knit set already.

its most likely not ur decision, deferrals usually arent granted that easily.

its most likely not ur decision, deferrals usually arent granted that easily.

i've actually heard quite the opposite from all the schools i've interviewed at....ALL of them.

Your situation sounds like deferring could lead to some growth / good memories, so if you feel inclined to defer, go for it.

Personally, I've been graduated for about a month now (quarter system), and OH MY GOD, I am so bored. Working continues to suck, traveling isn't my deal at all, I can only play so many video games / read so much. I would absolutely implode if I spent another year in limbo (dare I say purgatory?). The feeling of perpetual nothingness as I trudge through a swamp of menial work and sleep is exhausting.

Incoming "get a life" comments, I'm sure.

My research group recently asked me to defer to keep working at my current research position. After thinking about it for awhile and speaking with some other physicians I work with, the overwhelming majority told me NOT to defer. One physician stated that he felt the group was being selfish in a way, just thinking of how they could benefit, while my medical career was essentially being put on hold.

Not quite the same situation as you have, but just wanted to share my experience. I agree that I would feel like I was in limbo if I stayed.

Yea, I was already granted a deferment option if I decide it's what I want, so that isn't the question here. I would likely work for awhile in Haiti as a humanitarian and then would travel to New Zealand to do a work abroad type thing. Thoughts on deferring?

I was granted a deferral too, because my top school overaccepted by a few people. For about a day, I was scared and had the "What am I going to do with an entire year?!" crisis.

Then I decided that I'd do everything I like to do (travel, rock climb, read non-textbook books, work a crap job in a cafe where I get to talk to people all day, bike the PCH, visit my out-of-state friends, compete in a few triathlons).

Now, I worry that I might not have enough time to get it all done.

When I'm a 60 year-old doctor who's been working for 30 years, I don't think I'll be thinking to myself, "Boy, I could have been working for 31 years now, if it hadn't been for that damn year off!"

Sometimes if you've continuously been in school since pre-school (if that's your situation), you need a break. Go see the world and do helpful/cool things along the way. I have heard New Zealand is nothing but beautiful.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I was granted a deferment, which I plan on asking for, I would take it. Work, travel, go to the beach, talk to some girls lol.

Just have fun. You'll have plenty of time for med school. But one year without worrying about applying to med school, and having already graduated college, that could be worth something.

Seeing has you have things you want/could do, I would defer. While you do lose out on a year of a physicians salary, taking time off to do unrelated things once you start a career isn't very easy. All the bling-bling in the world can't buy youth.

Then again, I've been putting off applying for the last 2 years (and won't for another year due to residency issues):p

Actually most people who do a work abroad program come out fiscally the same than when then started, so opportunity cost isn't really a huge issue here. Unless you calculate the one year i'm not making a physician salary, but I plan on working for Doctors without Borders and not making a butt ton of money anyway. Actually, I kind of hate money lol.

If I had guaranteed deferral, I would take the year off.

As long as you keep yourself busy and have things lined up, it can probably help you learn a lot about yourself. At 21, you're younger than most people starting med school.

This thread seems to lean a lot towards the option of deferment, that's pretty wild. I think I'm leaning that way as well, although I might change my mind at any time :p.

The question can be answered by one thing: the value you have on money. If you are happy leading a student's life and don't want to "ball out" then defer, you're gonna be busy later.

For me, with the years of training ahead of me, I can't justify taking an extra year off. I really want to upgrade my lifestyle to a doctor's lifestyle instead of a student's lifestyle.

All the bling-bling in the world can't buy youth.

Absolutely. I am in my second year and I kind of wish I had taken more time to travel. I love backpacking, but I imagine doing it as a 29 year old (when I have finished med school/residency) will not be as nice as backpacking as a 22 year old.

Who am I kidding? I will probably have a family to support by 29. Let's make that backpacking as a 55 year old is not as nice as backpacking as a 22 year old! (Really you can find time in random places and the outlook isn't this grim, but hopefully you can see the value in some carefree travel as a college-aged guy.)

Im sure if you told them your situation (leaving out the friends part) you would be easily granted the deferral. I'm taking a year off to "find myself" meaning just the relax and maybe work part time at a hospital. Its a long commitment and i've never heard of anyone regretting the year off the avoid the potential of burning out.

You absolutely should defer if it's appealing to you and you have the financial means necessary. Deferring will help you see that there are other things to life besides school and, if you do it right, you can reaffirm your interest in medicine. And having a broader worldview from traveling can only help to make you a better doctor.

So yes, defer. Travel, do some medically-related volunteering (or try to build your non-medical skill set through something like community organizing or teaching), gain perspective on life, and come back in a year rejuvenated for the start of med school.

Trust me- I know about waiting for med school. I'm a post-bacc.

If you want to do humanitarian work, have you considered the fact that you'll be more useful as a doctor than a college graduate? Maybe you should finish up med school and do some humanitarian work. I even heard there are a few programs that pay for any travel expenses and costs for 3rd and 4th year med students to go abroad and help.

Actually most people who do a work abroad program come out fiscally the same than when then started, so opportunity cost isn't really a huge issue here. Unless you calculate the one year i'm not making a physician salary, but I plan on working for Doctors without Borders and not making a butt ton of money anyway. Actually, I kind of hate money lol.

Depends on the job, but my experience (intern level job, no housing allowance or any good perks) was that what I got paid abroad was enough to cover my living expenses but I also had flight costs, storage fees, state taxes (to keep residency), etc that added up.

Absolutely. I am in my second year and I kind of wish I had taken more time to travel. I love backpacking, but I imagine doing it as a 29 year old (when I have finished med school/residency) will not be as nice as backpacking as a 22 year old.

29 isn't too old for backpacking, at least I hope not;)

Perspective from the other end of the tunnel:

I have less than 10 weeks of training left, and I would give anything to be a year ahead of where I am right now.

In 2014 you could be finishing M3 and setting your sights on residency, or you could be just starting third year. In 2016 you could be coasting to the end of your intern year, or just gearing up for it. In 2021 you could driving your new Lexus to work, or you could be trying to squeeze 12 more months out of your Ford Focus. You could be settling into a house, planning a vacation, and starting to save for retirement, or you could be still be sitting in residency/fellowship, tired, broke, and with one more year to go.

Yeah, I've got senioritis.

Hmmmmm, true, Now I have two conflicting thoughts in my head. 1) I won't be 60 and looking back and stating that I wish I had worked another year, and 2) That I'll be a second year toiling through basic sciences when I COULD be working on my clinicals in the hospital.

Decisions are a pain.
Thanks for your insight,
MedicalMonkey