To discuss financial hardship or no?

Dr. Dooms Doctor

Jun 27, 2020
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Hey guys,

I'm a reapplicant applying this cycle. I just have a few questions if those of you more experienced could help me with. I initially applied last cycle and sent my primary to about 30 schools. During the process, I got a bill for treatment that I had recieved for a health problem earlier in the year. It was really high, like in the multiple thousands. I'm legally a dependent under my parents, but I basically pay for everything myself (rent, utilities, gas, food, etc). I did have a minimum wage job (medical assistant) but needless to say that bill basically took away all the funds I had saved up to apply and then some (my health plan through my father is high deductible) and so I decided to save up again for next cycle. This brings me to two questions:

1) Should I even mention this anywhere like in PS or something? I feel like explaining it is kind difficult and while it did delay me applying one more year, it's not like I experienced the lifelong financial hardships of others, especially since my family is solidly middle class.

2) So around 20 schools got my primary, but not my secondary. Would the schools that never got my secondary last cycle still compare my personal statements to see if I made changes and hold it against me if I didn't even though they did not read my original personal statement since I was not complete with them?

Thank you for any advice

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

penguinsfan71

Jan 7, 2020
  1. Medical Student
2) So around 20 schools got my primary, but not my secondary. Would the schools that never got my secondary last cycle still compare my personal statements to see if I made changes and hold it against me if I didn't even though they did not read my original personal statement since I was not complete with them?

I don't know the answer to your first question, but any school that got your primary last year will have you flagged as a re-applicant and will have your application on file.

D

deleted1011020

Hey guys,

I'm a reapplicant applying this cycle. I just have a few questions if those of you more experienced could help me with. I initially applied last cycle and sent my primary to about 30 schools. During the process, I got a bill for treatment that I had recieved for a health problem earlier in the year. It was really high, like in the multiple thousands. I'm a dependent under my parents, but I basically pay for everything myself. I did have a minimum wage job (medical assistant) but needless to say that bill basically took away all the funds I had saved up to apply and then some (my health plan is high deductible) and so I decided to save up again for next cycle. This brings me to two questions:

1) Should I even mention this anywhere like in PS or something? I feel like explaining it is kind difficult and while it did delay me applying one more year, it's not like I experienced the lifelong financial hardships of others, especially since my family is solidly middle class.

Thank you for any advice

1) You should try to somehow weave it into secondaries or primaries that you are experiencing a financial hardship. The tax status though might raise some eyebrows but I dont think theres a way for them to see that. Just be honest. I kept it as concise as possible and made sure to write it in a manner that wouldn't put people to sleep (ie dont just list the hardships in paragraph form).

2) You would still be flagged as a re-applicant and I'd try to give some reasoning as to why the secondary was not turned in. Most schools have a prompt to include anything miscellaneous.

Keep in mind I most likely will also be a re-applicant. All I managed to get last cycle was 1 waitlist (that I'm still on) so hopefully someone who had a more successful cycle/more knowledgeable of the inner workings can chime in.

About the Ads

lumya

Indoor Cat
2+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2018
  1. Medical Student
A good way to talk about it might be in the context of your personal experiences with the high cost of healthcare. A lot of solidly middle class people get blindsided by medical bills and reducing the cost of care is a central theme in healthcare policy. I don’t think it’s something to center your personal statement on, but it might be suitable for a challenged essay or as part of your personal experiences with healthcare in your PS.

proudofmykids

2+ Year Member
Aug 10, 2019
I wouldn’t write about it as a hardship since it was pretty short lived. In my opinion, somewhere in your app, include something simple like the following:

I am a reapplicant due to a personal emergency last cycle that caused me to suspend my application efforts just after sending my primary application.

Dr. Dooms Doctor

Jun 27, 2020
@Goro @LizzyM @gonnif

I was wondering if either of you can provide insight. I have searched the forums a bit and don't see threads that were similar to my situation. In general I am leaning towards not mentioning it unless a secondary explicitly asks or an interviewer brings it up. I just don't think adding it in the "anything you would like to add" section on secondaries would be seen as positive.

A good way to talk about it might be in the context of your personal experiences with the high cost of healthcare. A lot of solidly middle class people get blindsided by medical bills and reducing the cost of care is a central theme in healthcare policy. I don’t think it’s something to center your personal statement on, but it might be suitable for a challenged essay or as part of your personal experiences with healthcare in your PS.

Yeah, honestly it's pretty messed up. Like I said I work as a medical assistant and many times patients will ask us how much a procedure will cost but it's hard to say due to how convoluted and hidden the billing/insurance system is. You basically get treated and then get a bill one or two months later and sometimes I feel like people don't even know or agree with what they were charged for. Also, I feel like some patients are embarrassed of asking. It's definitely something I want to keep in mind as I continue onward in medicine but I don't think I'll write about it in my challenge essay. I can see adcoms reacting negatively to something like that.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Hey guys,

I'm a reapplicant applying this cycle. I just have a few questions if those of you more experienced could help me with. I initially applied last cycle and sent my primary to about 30 schools. During the process, I got a bill for treatment that I had recieved for a health problem earlier in the year. It was really high, like in the multiple thousands. I'm legally a dependent under my parents, but I basically pay for everything myself (rent, utilities, gas, food, etc). I did have a minimum wage job (medical assistant) but needless to say that bill basically took away all the funds I had saved up to apply and then some (my health plan through my father is high deductible) and so I decided to save up again for next cycle. This brings me to two questions:

Thank you for any advice
The PS is for "Why Meidcine? and "Who am I?".

It's not for explaining life events. The way you frame things would make a screener question your judgement.

You are a reapplicant at all schools where you sent an app. They will, in due diligence, check your essays. You won't care that you never sent in secondaries. They actually expect you to change your PS...nothing stays the same in the course of a year.

So just to be clear, you received this humongous medical bill, but it WAS taken care of, correct? yet it prevented you from applying or rather, completing the app cycle? If so, it's fodder for your adversity essay.

Dr. Dooms Doctor

Jun 27, 2020
The PS is for "Why Meidcine? and "Who am I?".

It's not for explaining life events. The way you frame things would make a screener question your judgement.

You are a reapplicant at all schools where you sent an app. They will, in due diligence, check your essays. You won't care that you never sent in secondaries. They actually expect you to change your PS...nothing stays the same in the course of a year.

So just to be clear, you received this humongous medical bill, but it WAS taken care of, correct? yet it prevented you from applying or rather, completing the app cycle? If so, it's fodder for your adversity essay.

Yeah I figured it wasn't good to add. My school's advisor told me to add a little blurb about it to explain why I'm a re applicant, but I'm seriously questioning that advice.

Yes, it's taken care of. Took a few months and more meals of lentils/rice than I like, but it's off my balance lol. I don't want to write about it in essays because I feel like it inherently takes a negative perspective of the medical system which adcoms would probably not like.

Jun 11, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
  1. Non-Student
Yeah I figured it wasn't good to add. My school's advisor told me to add a little blurb about it to explain why I'm a re applicant, but I'm seriously questioning that advice.

Yes, it's taken care of. Took a few months and more meals of lentils/rice than I like, but it's off my balance lol. I don't want to write about it in essays because I feel like it inherently takes a negative perspective of the medical system which adcoms would probably not like.
Your advisor is a *****.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.