To drop or not... that is the question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aboveliquidice

No sacrifice - No victory
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the latter stages of my pre-pharm courses. I have both A&P I and II along with Organic I and II left to complete. The course load for this semester includes both A & P s and Organic I. My question concerns whether or not to drop Organic I.

A & P is eating a huge amount of my time (its a condensed course). I know I will do well in it, given the opportunity to study (currently its an A). My worry is that I will get a B, or even worse a C in Organic.

Another element is that all of these classes are being taken at a community college. I would have to take Org I at a CC, and Org II at the University of Florida ---> which most people agree is a bad idea.

I am just worried about what a W means on my transcript to ADCOMS - I dont want to look like a flunkie - but I think it would be a whole lot worse to actually BE a flunkie - Any thoughts would be most appreciated...

Sorry so long winded...

~above~

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think one or two W's will hurt you that much. If they ask about it then just explain why you had to drop the class.

I think if you know you'll end up with an A in A&P and B in Orgo I then you're okay, a B is not bad. But a C however will hurt you... might as well just take both orgos in U of F - it might be a better flow from fall to spring semester

But overall, don't stress if you have one or two W's, more than that is not encouraged but I think you're GPA is more important than a few Ws - hope this helps!

You can still drop a course this late??? I've been done with the P1 year for 3 weeks now...

I'd go talk to the Org teacher and get a read on him. I agree W's are better than bad grades since they won't figure into your GPA at all.

Remember though that Pharm school is like a 17-19 credit science load, so evaluate your abilities carefully!

Members don't see this ad :)
There's nothing wrong with a B in Orgo II. That's what I got in it. I was taking Physics II, A & P I, Microbiology, and Biochemistry the same semester. Something had to give and it was my Orgo grade.

My transcript contained several W grades. I can't tell you how many times I dropped Freshman English II, government, history, etc.

just make sure that you get B or better in the org class. it still ok to get B in that class. i believe that a W look bad than B on your transcript.

I agree with all the rest. Dropping a class looks worse than getting a B. In all honesty, there will always be a school for every person out there that has the passion for the profession.

"B" looks much much better than "W", but "W" looks better than "C", anyone with me? :)

~Aquasonic

Thanks for all the input. I have a practical in A & P tomorrow along with the first real Organic test - The quiz (which was an old test from a couple semesters ago) knocked just about everyone in the class on their ***** - so I think I got a bit shaken. The drop date with a "W" is June 20th (for full summer) so I really do have time to make such a decision.

I think I agree with the B is better than a W - even though I will be splitting the Organics between 2 different schools - to be done with it would be a huge bonus to my application...

I really just need to Man-up, and get it done right - I am going to study some now - thanx again for all of the input.

~above~

Once you are in pharmacy school and taking 5 or more science based courses at once, you will likely laugh at the "dilemma" you are facing now. I'm not saying that to be rude, just to be honest. If time is an issue for you with just these 2 courses, things will be compounded exponentially when you get to pharmacy school. Ad-coms like to see that you can carry a difficult load and do well.

Once you are in pharmacy school and taking 5 or more science based courses at once, you will likely laugh at the "dilemma" you are facing now. I'm not saying that to be rude, just to be honest. If time is an issue for you with just these 2 courses, things will be compounded exponentially when you get to pharmacy school. Ad-coms like to see that you can carry a difficult load and do well.

B's are fine! i got B's in orgo I and II.... and got accepted everwhere i applied! One W will not hurt you either....they MIGHT ask about it at your interview if it's open file, but most likely not. they do look at course load, however. if you don't think you can handle A&P and orgo at the same time, you might have issues with pharm school load. taking orgo I and II at separate schools is also not the best choice. different schools teach in different orders. you might skip a chunk of important stuff and learn some other not-so-important stuff twice.