To drop Organic or not to drop Organic...advice appreciated

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nctw

"Don't give up…don't ever give up."
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yet another thread about Organic Chem! Anyway, here's my current situation:

I did really poorly on my first Organic I exam (got a 56, class average was a 61). I was entirely over-confident (went through last semester's exam and homework worksheets and thought they were easy) and didn't study enough. Now, I'm kicking myself in the face for that, although I accept it was entirely my fault. I'm doing a much better job keeping up with the readings and practice problems for the new material, and I do feel like I understand it.

The problem, however, is that the drop deadline is BEFORE our second exam. Professor said he had a student get a 20 something on the first test and then pull a C in the class, but looking at the grade distributions from the previous years, generally 44% of the class gets a D or F. In other words, while he said it was plausible, the numbers don't back it up.

Grading is: 70% exams (3 of them), 25% final exam, 5% WebAssign homework. Nothing gets dropped, and the curve is minimal (usually 2-3 percentage points).

I'm horrified of this upcoming exam and don't know what to do. I'm obviously doing the right thing now, but if I do poorly on any other exam, I essentially fail the class. My school has a gracious drop policy, so if I do drop it, it won't appear on my transcript at all. W's only show up if you drop after the drop deadline, and that's only possible with a medical reason.

If If I do drop, my schedule will look like this as far as prereqs:

Spring 13: Organic I, Physics I, Gen Chem II
Summer 13: (will be living at school and could theoretically take a class, although I'd like to do research or intern)
Fall 13: Organic II, Physics II
Spring 14: MCAT study time/MCAT

If I stay in the class, I'd be guaranteed a much easier professor for Organic II (had a friend get a 40 on the final and pull an A due to the curve). The professor that I would take in the Spring for Organic I comes highly recommended and has been described by a few friends as "the best teacher they've ever had in their life."

What would you guys do? I'll still have 12 credits this semester if I drop.

Members don't see this ad.

Forgot to add: if I get a C in the course, my cGPA would drop to a 3.72. If I drop it and continue to perform well in my other classes (based on how I'm doing so far), I'll have a 3.83 cGPA.

Personally, I think you should just stay in it. It sounds like you realize your mistake and can try to do better on the next tests. You are right near the average so that's a good sign.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd personally stay in it and try to ace the next exam. If bad comes to worse, there's still a chance to get the W and retake the class later on. That's just what I'd do.

I'd personally stay in it and try to ace the next exam. If bad comes to worse, there's still a chance to get the W and retake the class later on. That's just what I'd do.

I can't get a W though. You can only drop if you have a severe medical excuse. So if I do poorly, I'll have to accept the bad grade. That's the problem--there's so much riding on this one exam.

I can't get a W though. You can only drop if you have a severe medical excuse. So if I do poorly, I'll have to accept the bad grade. That's the problem--there's so much riding on this one exam.

Ah, well that changes things. I honestly think it's a major toss-up then, and it would really depend on the individual as to what to do in this situation. Personally, I'd still take the risk and study my head off for the next exam, but others may play it safe, and I think the decision is fair either ways.

My Organic class isn't curved at all, you can only miss up to 30 points for an A. And exams/quizzes make up 58%, the final is 25%, and the rest are online homework/any other work assigned.

I feel its the easiest of my 4 courses this quarter as well, but that is just because all my other classes I find to take up all my time and effort. I am in a living hell this quarter. And will probably end up like you an the first exam.(thanks to my other classes)

I did really poorly on my first Organic I exam (got a 56, class average was a 61). I was entirely over-confident (went through last semester's exam and homework worksheets and thought they were easy) and didn't study enough. Now, I'm kicking myself in the face for that, although I accept it was entirely my fault. I'm doing a much better job keeping up with the readings and practice problems for the new material, and I do feel like I understand it.

The problem, however, is that the drop deadline is BEFORE our second exam. Professor said he had a student get a 20 something on the first test and then pull a C in the class, but looking at the grade distributions from the previous years, generally 44% of the class gets a D or F. In other words, while he said it was plausible, the numbers don't back it up.

Grading is: 70% exams (3 of them), 25% final exam, 5% WebAssign homework. Nothing gets dropped, and the curve is minimal (usually 2-3 percentage points).

I'm horrified of this upcoming exam and don't know what to do. I'm obviously doing the right thing now, but if I do poorly on any other exam, I essentially fail the class. My school has a gracious drop policy, so if I do drop it, it won't appear on my transcript at all. W's only show up if you drop after the drop deadline, and that's only possible with a medical reason.

Summer 13: (will be living at school and could theoretically take a class, although I'd like to do research or intern)

If I stay in the class, I'd be guaranteed a much easier professor for Organic II (had a friend get a 40 on the final and pull an A due to the curve). The professor that I would take in the Spring for Organic I comes highly recommended and has been described by a few friends as "the best teacher they've ever had in their life."

Also, why haven't you taken Gen Chem II before Organic I? I thought the chemistry series was a pre-req....

I'd say stick through it, you said yourself you are now putting in the time, so what is the problem here, are the exams ridiculous? too hard? teacher crazy? if not,why push it off, so you can have an easier teacher?

Last edited:
Why is it that you would be taking GenChem II concurrently with Orgo I? Does that mean you haven't taken GenChem II yet, and how much more time do you feel you realistically put into this course?

My Organic class isn't curved at all, you can only miss up to 30 points for an A. And exams/quizzes make up 58%, the final is 25%, and the rest are online homework/any other work assigned.

I feel its the easiest of my 4 courses this quarter as well, but that is just because all my other classes I find to take up all my time and effort. I am in a living hell this quarter. And will probably end up like you an the first exam.(thanks to my other classes)

Also, why haven't you taken Gen Chem II before Organic I? I thought the chemistry series was a pre-req....

I'd say stick through it, you said yourself you are now putting in the time, so what is the problem here, are the exams ridiculous? too hard? teacher crazy? if not,why push it off, so you can have an easier teacher?

My school has us take Gen Chem I, both Organics, and then Gen Chem II, although you're free to move them around. Pushing it off would ensure I'd do really well in the next class since I've already had half the material

Why is it that you would be taking GenChem II concurrently with Orgo I? Does that mean you haven't taken GenChem II yet, and how much more time do you feel you realistically put into this course?

That's free to be moved around, but I haven't taken Chem II yet. For the first exam cycle, I really didn't do that much. Now, I'd probably say I'm spending 1-2 hours on it 4-5 times a week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are there "easier" professors that give out more A's at your college? I would probably consider dropping but a C definitely isn't the end of the world.

Drop it like it's hot. If you don't, then during finals week, it's going to hit you like a freight train.

Drop it; Not worth the risk.

Yea OP, just drop it.

Also, I heard physics is a real nightmare too; when the time comes, drop that as well.
Oh and don't even think about taking Biochemistry...actually do think about it. However, most definitely DO NOT think about P-chem. I heard that class is harder than med school :scared:

I heard that of your pre req medical schools generally place the most weight on your organic chemistry grades; is this true?

Are there "easier" professors that give out more A's at your college? I would probably consider dropping but a C definitely isn't the end of the world.

With this class, yes. The professor that I have usually gives ~9% A's (with 40+% D/F rate like I said). With the other professor, only ~15% gets a D/F, while 15-20% gets an A. She's not necessarily easier, but she's supposed to just be an incredible instructor.

^ You must have mad flexibility to kick yourself in the face :laugh:

But seriously here's what I'd do:
Drop OChem I and take it next Spring to get out of the bad start and to get better prof
Wait to take OChem II till Spring of 2014 (presuming the easy teacher teaches it each spring)
Start MCAT studying during Fall of 2013 (since you won't have OChem II in that semester) and take MCAT earlier in the spring of 2014 after having some of OChem II

Hopefully this will get you the easiest OChem profs possible and still allow time for MCAT prep. I took OChem I my Soph Fall and pushed off OChem II till Spring of senior year and it worked out fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about the gap.

Hope it all works out for ya, good luck

^ You must have mad flexibility to kick yourself in the face :laugh:

But seriously here's what I'd do:
Drop OChem I and take it next Spring to get out of the bad start and to get better prof
Wait to take OChem II till Spring of 2014 (presuming the easy teacher teaches it each spring)
Start MCAT studying during Fall of 2013 (since you won't have OChem II in that semester) and take MCAT earlier in the spring of 2014 after having some of OChem II

Hopefully this will get you the easiest OChem profs possible and still allow time for MCAT prep. I took OChem I my Soph Fall and pushed off OChem II till Spring of senior year and it worked out fine, so I wouldn't worry too much about the gap.

Hope it all works out for ya, good luck

The easy professor teaches summer sessions, but I could also take Organic II with the really good professor in the Fall. I'm just worried about Physics/Organic/GenChem together, coupled with how taking one semester with 12 credits will look, especially since I'm keeping the Organic lab.

I heard that of your pre req medical schools generally place the most weight on your organic chemistry grades; is this true?

I've heard this as well. An admissions person came to our school and said "don't get a D in Organic. There's no excuse for that," but I didn't know if that was just his personal opinion or if it was reflective of everyone

The easy professor teaches summer sessions, but I could also take Organic II with the really good professor in the Fall. I'm just worried about Physics/Organic/GenChem together, coupled with how taking one semester with 12 credits will look, especially since I'm keeping the Organic lab.

Yea that is a legit concern - however, I know my lil bro is taking OChem II, Bio II, and Physics I right now and is in his research lab like every day, so it can be done but your life will just suck for that semester (as his does now, according to him, but also semester seems to be going well as far as i know...). I'd just take a good look in the mirror and see if you think you can do it, if yes then do it, if not then shuffle things around...

Yea OP, just drop it.

Also, I heard physics is a real nightmare too; when the time comes, drop that as well.
Oh and don't even think about taking Biochemistry...actually do think about it. However, most definitely DO NOT think about P-chem. I heard that class is harder than med school :scared:

I concur.

I've heard this as well. An admissions person came to our school and said "don't get a D in Organic. There's no excuse for that," but I didn't know if that was just his personal opinion or if it was reflective of everyone

A D is a failing grade anyway, saying that you shouldn't get one isn't much of a revelation. As for med schools placing a lot of weight on orgo, I think that's just a premed myth. It's not unheard of for people to get accepted to top schools with grades as low as C in orgo.

Yea OP, just drop it.

Biochemistry is easier than organic II. It is just a limited set of reactions over and over and over again. It is also easier to connect to and be engaged in since it has more clear applications to health.

Drop it. Seems like you have a solid plan for your pre-reqs, and I don't think the risk is worth it. You've put in the work studying for the first exam and part of the second exam - that won't go to waste, and it'll just help you get a huge boost the second semester.

Also, with a great professor, you'll get more out of the class. This will be beneficial when studying for the MCAT.

Honestly if you think you have what it takes to pick up the slack from here on out I'd stick with it.

Plus acing Physics, Gen Chem II, and Orgo I is a lot easier said than done :wow: