To express interest in a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tonywonder

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering what the current thought is on contacting a school to which one has already applied with the intention of expressing interest in a particular aspect (in my case, research) of the school.

I applied in early September and since then I've realized I more greatly would like to attend a school with a strong research infrastructure. I would consider myself very well accomplished in the field and this was not as strongly conveyed in my professional experience and personal statement. For a lot of these schools, I have slightly below avg stats (22 ts, 21 aa, 21 pat, 26 bio, 19 rc | 3.28 oGPA, 3.81 sGPA). I think that a personal email highlighting my experience and interest couldn't hurt, but would it help?

Thanks!

tltr:
Would it be worth it to reach out to a school to express my continued interest in research and a particular aspect of that school's research program (if I feel like it was not strongly enough conveyed in my aadsas app)?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @SXCoronado and @doc toothache ! I've got some reading to do now.

P.S. I didn't mean to say my stats were below average overall, just maybe not the most competitive for some research-oriented schools. I hope it didn't come off as a "30 DAT, 4.0 GPA. Will I get in!?" post.

EDIT: now that was an entertaining thread to review.

Last edited:
So do we send LOI after the interview and waitlisted after december?

or also when we did not get interview invite yet?

I am confused

So do we send LOI after the interview and waitlisted after december?

or also when we did not get interview invite yet?

I am confused
Typically its sent after Dec 1 to schools that waitlisted you or schools that youre really interested in but havent heard word from yet. Thank you notes are a more common practice to send right after being interviewed.

Typically its sent after Dec 1 to schools that waitlisted you or schools that youre really interested in but havent heard word from yet. Thank you notes are a more common practice to send right after being interviewed.

hmm I am really interested in one school, but not heard from them yet, and they started to send the interview invite last week according to the sdn forum.

Since I applied late June, maybe in the third batch, i am worried that my chance of pre-dec interview is over for that school.

I was wondering i should wait till after december, or send them LOI to them showing my interest.

hmm I am really interested in one school, but not heard from them yet, and they started to send the interview invite last week according to the sdn forum.

Since I applied late June, maybe in the third batch, i am worried that my chance of pre-dec interview is over for that school.

I was wondering i should wait till after december, or send them LOI to them showing my interest.
I personally wouldnt send one before Dec 1. One thing you could do that might help is to email or call the school and ask if your application is complete and not missing anything. If they already emailed you saying it is complete, then do nothing, just wait. Distracted yourself with other things if youre worried.

T
I personally wouldnt send one before Dec 1. One thing you could do that might help is to email or call the school and ask if your application is complete and not missing anything. If they already emailed you saying it is complete, then do nothing, just wait. Distracted yourself with other things if youre worried.

Thank you for the reply. I got what to do. :)

I'm in a similar position to you @gnee. I really want to write this letter lol and I even started to actually write it -- but to be honest it just felt awkward having heard nothing from them yet. I'm going to wait until after Dec. 1.