To get nm u have to have a step 3 score of 80+?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turquoiseblue

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Some coordinator told me that to get nm u have to have 80+ on step 3. Is this true? This is so not fair. I thought step 3 didn't count for anything.

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to do a clinical year before nuc med residency, you need to pass step 3 with 80+.

If you plan to do a clinical year or are doing it, then no such requirement. You even don't need step 3. ECFMG certificate is enough.

Actually, it eases the requirement. Not makes it difficult. Just different requirement combination.

By the way, going into nuc med before any residency is suicidal, unless you are terrific. But, if you are terrific, why come to nuc med.

If you don't want to do a clinical year before nuc med residency, you need to pass step 3 with 80+.

If you plan to do a clinical year or are doing it, then no such requirement. You even don't need step 3. ECFMG certificate is enough.

Actually, it eases the requirement. Not makes it difficult. Just different requirement combination.

By the way, going into nuc med before any residency is suicidal, unless you are terrific. But, if you are terrific, why come to nuc med.

Thanks for the clarification. That makes more sense.

BTW, I'm no where near terrific. im nearly a 'has-been' so i'll take anything out there if it is possible!

Members don't see this ad :)
I read your credentials. If I were you, I would stop trying.

Honestly, I don't think you can get anything. These days, even the worst community hospitals require you to have 2 digits step 1 and 2 90+, first try. You are far from that. However, I do admire your persistence.

Nuc is not competitive. But they are all in very good hospitals. They do select people.

Good luck.

i've been selected for NM before, just had to sign the contract, but lost the position because i got sick during my surgical prelim year and i was in the hospital when they sent me my stuff so i missed it all...life stinks...i hope it isn't the end though. i'll try one more year and that's it...
then we're all gonna go to heaven or hades in 2012...so none of this won't matter any more.

Don't be fools, guys. Let me say this once and let it sink in:

ABNM stands for American Board of No Marketability :laugh: