to Great Pumpkin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pathdoc2B

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in pathology and have a mental disability. I am finishing up my third year in rotations this coming summer and am doing well so far. I have received accommodations for my exams - a quiet environment and additional time. I was wondering if pathology programs would discriminate against me because of my disability. And, how should I explain my disability to residency directors. I have taken time off because of my disability so I know I will have to address it. I am interested in going to the Oregon Health Sciences pathology program. I plan to do an away rotation there. Have you heard anything about it? Also what electives would you recommend to do in the fourth year? I am interested in going into cytopathology. I appreciate your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi:

I'm sure GP can give a lot more info. But I would highly recommend doing a 4th year rotation, preferably in path, at the top 2 places where you would eventually like to do residency in path. Your best recommendation will be that they know you and know you can do the job. Time and time again it seems like people get spots - often "above" what their credentials would afford them, because they've been to the program and are well thought of. Keep the faith.
Hope this helps.

M-

Magree gave you the best advice. Do a rotation make sure they are comfortable with you and you them. If you had what it takes to make it through med school, I doubt you will have any problems in residency. One thing programs will be worried about is you missing alot of time during your residency.

The pathology boards are dang tough from what I hear so I don't know what accomidations they offer. You should contact them as well.

I do not know anything about the Oregan program, sorry.

Cyto is a competitive residency. Pick a school that has a good cytology program.

Have fun your 4th year is the most important thing. Take some things that you will never have the opportunity to do again. I took an emergency medicine rotation just for kicks. If you really want to do more path, just pick any of the areas that interest you.

Good luck