To Great Pumpkin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tomavir

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Great Pumpkin:

I have a question for you and would appreciate your response. Do you know something about the path residency program at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, at Brooklyn, NY? I've heard people saying it's a bad program just because of its bad location. That's not a big concern for me, what I really want to know is about the atmosphere, teaching conferences. I am also interested in their neuropathology fellowship. Thank you in advance for any information.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, I don't know anything at all about that program. I would imagine housing would be a big issue.

I got 3 of my 4 autopsies to graduate at Kings County (SUNY - Downstate teaching hospital), and there was one resident there cutting (on a Sunday) - and these were ME cases. They do 10 posts a day there - every day. They have 80 crypts (including one section labeled "Decomposed"). I don't know anything about the department, but the gross path is there. The one attending had done 7000 posts in 7 years (he said that, at a place he'd applied to for a job, 3 ME's were splitting the case load he was doing individually).

Housing is not a big issue...Downstate has school housing, but, also, finding an apartment isn't overwhelmingly bad.