To how many schools you will apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many schools will you apply in the MD process?

• 1-10

Votes: 126 14.9%
  • 10-20

Votes: 354 41.8%
  • 20-30

Votes: 230 27.2%
  • 30-40

Votes: 77 9.1%
  • 40-50

Votes: 29 3.4%
  • 50-60

Votes: 10 1.2%
  • 60-70

Votes: 1 0.1%
  • 70+

Votes: 20 2.4%

• Total voters

sekem

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please vote

Members don't see this ad.

so basically everyone applies to less than 40 schools? Amazing!

Members don't see this ad :)
I totally voted for 70+ because it was an option. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

guys vote, lets see the final results!

How can people afford to apply to more than 40 schools, let alone have time to fill out all the secondaries?

spygal said:
How can people afford to apply to more than 40 schools, let alone have time to fill out all the secondaries?

well there are always people with mula :cool:

megboo said:
25 is probably my limit. Money doesn't grow in my backyard.

25 is probably my max as well.

This is my second time around, so I included the numbers from last year, too. Let's hope my total can stop at its current level of 19 :D

nolamd2b said:
This is my second time around, so I included the numbers from last year, too. Let's hope my total can stop at its current level of 19 :D

oh, if we're doing it that way, then i'm at 45 including this cycle and the past 2 (25 for this one)

zach1201 said:
I totally voted for 70+ because it was an option. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

I was wondering how in the hell someone was pulling that off!

121 votes, getting close to a final decision!

C.P. Jones said:
oh, if we're doing it that way, then i'm at 45 including this cycle and the past 2 (25 for this one)

who cares about past cycles man! Only for this 2007 process! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
146 votes now! Lets see if we can hit 200 votes!

can't believe most people apply to onle 10-20 schools!!!

I think you should have broken out the choices more.

Like 1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20

Because there are a lot of people closer to 10 than 20 who had to pick "10 to 20"

:)

EDIT: Good point about the #'s.

jackieMD2007 said:

Like 1-5
5-10
10-15
15-20

Because there are a lot of people closer to 10 than 20 who had to pick "10 to 20"

And people who applied to 20 and can choose either the 10-20 or the 20-30.

well then how could I approach 7o schools! :D

8-10 for me. I don't have that much money, especially for a secondaries.

jackieMD2007 said:

Like 1-5
6-10
11-15
16-20

EDIT: Good point about the #'s.
That would have been nice...but I don't think he has a ballpark range. I mean...seemed like he was expecting lots more people doing higher than 40.

Also, if you want to go by MDapplicants...their about page has some statistics:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/aboutthissite.php
"These applicants applied to an average of 15.3 schools"

sentrosi said:
That would have been nice...but I don't think he has a ballpark range. I mean...seemed like he was expecting lots more people doing higher than 40.

Also, if you want to go by MDapplicants...their about page has some statistics:
http://www.mdapplicants.com/aboutthissite.php
"These applicants applied to an average of 15.3 schools"

and i think that's higher than the actual average...i thought I read on AAMC's website that the average applicant sends ~ 12 applications out

taylormade44 said:
and i think that's higher than the actual average...i thought I read on AAMC's website that the average applicant sends ~ 12 applications out
Thus the "if you want to go by MDapplicants"

I would just like to take a moment to comment on the gramatical correctness of this thread title. It's refreshing, really. Good work :thumbup:

200 votes, woohoo

Aimimg for 300 votes! ;)

sekem said:
who cares about past cycles man! Only for this 2007 process! :rolleyes:

i did actually just vote for my 25 though, so i'm not skewing the results w/ the past.....however, i can actually answer with "my wallet cares" :( a lot :mad:

I'm not applying until next app cycle, but I'm only going to be applying to 5 schools max. The reason is that I am married and my husband doesn't want to leave the midwest (he's too close to his family, unfortunately), which doesn't leave a whole lot of choices. However, being an Indiana resident gives me a big leg-up with applying to IU, and I'm hoping to get an MCAT score well above their average (taking it next month...). I hope I'm not crazy....

Rachael1285 said:
I'm not applying until next app cycle, but I'm only going to be applying to 5 schools max. The reason is that I am married and my husband doesn't want to leave the midwest (he's too close to his family, unfortunately), which doesn't leave a whole lot of choices. However, being an Indiana resident gives me a big leg-up with applying to IU, and I'm hoping to get an MCAT score well above their average (taking it next month...). I hope I'm not crazy....

will all respect, 5 schools is just not very many which puts a big stress on your MCAT and GPA. Then I guess you will need at least 32 or above to feel safe!

68 more votes to hit 300!

Rachael1285 said:

I'm also an IN resident and according to the premium online editioin thingy of US News IU accepts ~73% of women who interview. If you meet their minimum criteria, you have an interview (3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT). So...yeah...that's the reason I'm applying to 6 schools.

I'm guessing around 40 schools if you include DO programs.

DropkickMurphy said:
I'm guessing around 40 schools if you include DO programs.

DO NOT include DO here, this is only for MD! ;)

CavalierMD said:
I would just like to take a moment to comment on the gramatical correctness of this thread title. It's refreshing, really. Good work :thumbup:

And I thought I was the only one who appreciated the accuracy and utter brilliance of the grammar.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: Both Cavalier and sarcasm are awesome. :D
Ah yes, and no offense to the OP...good post.

I won't be applying until the next application cycle, so I'm thinking of trying 15-20 schools. Any more than that, and I would have to get my mom to print money in our basement.

Plus, its my twin sister and I BOTH applying at the same time, so spending a lot on my applications really isn't an option... :scared:

my bad, 49 MD schools if I include Texas schools, heh.
I'm gonna put my house up for a second mortgage for secondaries

megboo said:
Next time be more specific. Besides, a lot of MD applicants also apply to DO schools.

What are you talking about, it specificaly says "MD Process" , lol ;)

Dr. Pepper said:
And I thought I was the only one who appreciated the accuracy and utter brilliance of the grammar.
-Dr. P.

P.S.: Both Cavalier and sarcasm are awesome. :D
Ah yes, and no offense to the OP...good post.

Aww, a shout out from Dr. P! :love: Thanks man :p

I'm glad I'm not alone in the 10-20 range...

I figure I have a decent chance of getting into one of the schools I'm applying to...why apply to more schools that I don't have much interest in?

Punkn said:
I'm also an IN resident and according to the premium online editioin thingy of US News IU accepts ~73% of women who interview. If you meet their minimum criteria, you have an interview (3.2 GPA and 24 MCAT). So...yeah...that's the reason I'm applying to 6 schools.

Do you know what their requirement is to interview oos?

[super.cool] said:
I won't be applying until the next application cycle, so I'm thinking of trying 15-20 schools. Any more than that, and I would have to get my mom to print money in our basement.

Plus, its my twin sister and I BOTH applying at the same time, so spending a lot on my applications really isn't an option... :scared:

Are you looking at possibly going to the same school? I wanted to go to med school with my brother who will be applying next cycle, but he and i are looking for different things in medical school...

Rachael1285 said:

There are a lot of schools in the midwest...7 in il, 2 in wi, 1 in in, several in ohio...

I'm stunned anyone is applying to 30+ schools!
Mom & Dad must be footing those bills....

Orthodoc40 said:

Not everyone is depended on his mom & dad !!! ;)

Orthodoc40 said:

I'd love for my mom and dad to pay my bills. My husband would, too.

I'm applying to 25 (present plans) but depending on MCAT scores that could jump to 30+.