Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

To: IMGs who had a psych externship

Discussion in 'Psychiatry' started by Danica, May 8, 2007.

1. Danica

Danica Hit the road Jack

Post Doc
    To: IMGs who had a psych externship

How did you prepare before starting your externship?
    What sources did you use?
    Did your externship have a specific reading list you were expected to complete during the program?
    If yes, Can you give me that list?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Adam_K

Adam_K Indentured

Resident [Any Field]
    I read Andreasen's Introductory Textbook of Psychiatry (3rd Edition, haven't seen the new one) and I would recommend it to beginners, because it is well written and full of cases that help you differentiate between different forms of psychopathology.

On top of that I would recommend that at a minimum you should memorize the DSM-IV-TR criteria for the major diagnoses. A familiarity with antidepressants, antipsychotics and mood stabilizers would be helpful as well.

If you want to prepare yourself for interviewing, I recommend Shawn Christopher Shea's book on Psychiatric Interviewing. I don't have a suggestion for emergency psychiatry, but maybe someone someone else does.

Some of this may or may not be of use to you, depending on what kind of rotation you do. If you are on a subspecialty rotation like dual diagnoses then it obviously would be a good idea to read up on those specifics.

4. Nika

Non-Student
    Adam_K, Thank you for your suggestion!
    Danica, do you find the externship already?

5. Danica

Danica Hit the road Jack

Post Doc
    Thanks Adam_K.

Yes Nika. They said yes, but I don't know the start date.

6. Danica

Danica Hit the road Jack

Post Doc
    Adam_K
    I checked out A's book, the 4th edition.
    It's a monster... 668 pages

7. sumina13

Resident [Any Field]
    hi there. could you reiterate how you applied to the externship (which I'm assuming is a rotation after u leave med school, no?) and whatever hassles u encountered?
    many thanks !

8. sga430

sga430 Banned
    Banned

Resident [Any Field]
    the important thing i feel is get your diagnosis down. also maybe psychopharm classification.

what is more important then getting prepared is when u start work hard, be on time, be interested, be pleasant to be around and network. search out opportunities. also look for research as well to do on the side. the main rotation of course will be inpatient and c/l. in outpatient u may get to observe. also do child, addictions and ER psych. go to both med student and resident didactics. network with the attendings and find out where they did their residency. i got an interview because of this. also work on getting good LoRs. get one from someone u worked with the most and also get one from the PD and/or chairman. they carry a lot of weight. also enjoy yourself. befriend the residents and students. hope this helps.