To include or not include on application: head of Occupy Wall Street movement in my town

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

philosonista

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, all:

Would it step on too many ADCOM toes to include a politically-sensitive EC on my app? I maintained the website and largely organized the Occupy Wall Street movement in my town back in the day.

@LizzyM @Goro

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It may step on toes.. but consider this: do you want to go to a school that frowns upon such involvement?

How important is it to you? How passionate are you about it?

There are ways to word it so you don't fit into a stereotype while still emphasize the leadership qualities and other skills you demonstrated.

Reactions: 1 users
Ill start the debate and throw out the maybe politically incorrect viewpoint here. While "activism" is sometimes interesting in an interview, and being the "head of" anything shows leadership, I would probably leave it out. Most conservatives were not in favor of the protest or it's unfocused goals. And most on either side of the debate consider the movement nationally to have been a dismal failure. It did not accomplish it's goals. Most of the protesters packed up and went home as soon as the weather got bad. Others hired homeless people to move into their tents to make it seem like the movement lived on, and undermined their credibility. Every newscast seemed to find protesters with varied goals -- there wasn't a single point being protested, so it all ended up being noise. I don't know how much credence you get being part if this. Is being the leader of something so poorly run really a feather in your cap? Food for thought.

Reactions: 12 users
Ill start the debate and throw out the maybe politically incorrect viewpoint here. While "activism" is sometimes interesting in an interview, and being the "head of" anything shows leadership, I would probably leave it out. Most conservatives were not in favor of the protest or it's unfocused goals. And most on either side of the debate consider the movement nationally to have been a dismal failure. It did not accomplish it's goals. Most of the protesters packed up and went home as soon as the weather got bad. Others hired homeless people to move into their tents to make it seem like the movement lived on, and undermined their credibility. Every newscast seemed to find protesters with varied goals -- there wasn't a single point being protested, so it all ended up being noise. I don't know how much credence you get being part if this. Is being the leader of something so poorly run really a feather in your cap? Food for thought.
qft

The whole point of occupy wall street was that it didn't have a head. That's why those crazy hippies loved it and also one of the reasons it didn't accomplish anything

i'd forget it ever happened

Reactions: 2 users
According to IRS information, the top 1% of income earners in the US starts at a minimum annual income of $394,000 in 2013. That would encompass a number of physicians. What do you think?

OP, just omit it. Let's put it this way: Imagine you're in med school on the Adcom, and you're going to interview someone who, for an EC, maintained the website and largely organized an organization in his/her hometown that accomplished absolutely nothing except garner bad press, and made highly legitimate concerns look suspect?

Definitely not my clinical colleagues.
According to IRS information, the top 1% of income earners in the US starts at a minimum annual income of $394,000 in 2013. That would encompass a number of physicians. What do you think?

A portion of my personal statement referenced defending against Occupy and other fringe elements trying to cause harm to our office and employees. Thanks in part to your organization, firearms training and active shooter drills became part of my work responsibilities. I'm no 1%-er, but you guys suck for bringing some of these guys out of the woodwork.

Reactions: 2 users
Since we as physicians are not part of the 1%, maybe they will empathize :p

Reactions: 1 user
Adcoms seem to value maturity and sound judgement, which are two things opposite of what we found in that "movement" (or lack thereof :p).

Also, they probably value personal hygiene, but that's just a guess on my part.

OP, I suppose that if you did so, you'd certainly be part of the <1% who can say that.

But, as others have said, I would certainly NOT mention this in applications. @Law2Doc offered quite a nice and reasonable point of view.

I disagree with most of the above characterizations of occupy, but it shows what popular perception of the movement is.
I'm also involved with some very political movements, but they aren't a huge part of my app, so im planning to be vague about the organizations' ideologies, and emphasize leadership and other things I've learned from my involvement. After all, those are the reasons such involvement is relevant to adcoms.

(Sent from mobile)

I wouldn't include it. Much more potential to harm your app than help it in general. I didn't follow the movement much but it seemed the whole idea was predicated upon bringing down this 1% (wall street in particular). Taking a stand against corruption or ill-gotten gain is one thing but attacking the entire 1% of earners seems like a broad brush to paint with. A movement targeted towards helping the 99% rather than hurting the 1% may be looked upon more favorably. Again not sure about the details of this whole occupy deal, but if you could explain your involvement as a positive influence advocating for a large group it may be less controversial.