to include or NOT include? research/employment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheAdmin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I worked as a drosophila food maker and transferring drosophilas into new vials every week for about 1 year (around 4 hours per week). I also helped a masters student with genetic crosses for about 3 months (for the summer). Since then, I've only been working only 1 hour per week.. totaling around 2 years and probably will continue into my senior year

Is this worth including?? I think this was more of an employment than research because I really didn't do much...

The lab I worked is very famous, and the PI is very well known, but I doubt this will help one bit. I'm just trying to fill in the 15 spots right now without adding BS. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no obligation to fill 15 spots. If this was employment, list it as such. Having some familiarity with laboratory procedures and having taken responsibility for the care and feeding of laboratory animals (do those count as lab animals???) is not "nothing". However, I wouldn't call it research . If it wasn't employment, I'd call it volunteer, non-clinical.

I have a question going off of this. I have a similar situation where I was in a research lab, but basically just ran trials, food deprived mice. I was doing lab research techniques the whole time - basically just classical conditioning trials over and over and over again, but I wasn't really learning much. I did get academic credit for it though. Would it be more appropriate to put it down as lab/research or employment? If I put it as employment I'll still have a major clinical research experience to put down anyway which my entire application is based on.

I have a question going off of this. I have a similar situation where I was in a research lab, but basically just ran trials, food deprived mice. I was doing lab research techniques the whole time - basically just classical conditioning trials over and over and over again, but I wasn't really learning much. I did get academic credit for it though. Would it be more appropriate to put it down as lab/research or employment? If I put it as employment I'll still have a major clinical research experience to put down anyway which my entire application is based on.

Employment seems more in keeping with what you were doing which was not testing a hypothesis or doing preliminary pilot work toward developing a testable hypothesis. (apologies to those who do qualitative research but these are mice we're talking about so qualitative research generally does not apply)