To Interview at USC or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdsflyinghigh

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello dear members, I am new on here. I have 4 interviews already and last week I was invited to visit and interview at USC. That would be my 5th interview before the acceptances go out on December 1st.

Should I go to USC or not? its a very expensive trip and I have done my math, I have a high chance to get into at least one of those 4 schools (based on using the ADEA guide that I have purchased.)

PS USC is a very expensive school. I believe i can get into at least 1 other school.

Would you guys go? What are your ideas about my situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello dear members, I am new on here. I have 4 interviews already and last week I was invited to visit and interview at USC. That would be my 5th interview before the acceptances go out on December 1st.

Should I go to USC or not? its a very expensive trip and I have done my math, I have a high chance to get into at least one of those 4 schools (based on using the ADEA guide that I have purchased.)

PS USC is a very expensive school. I believe i can get into at least 1 other school.

Sounds like you're confident that you don't need the USC interview. Think you already know what you wanna do. Personally, I'd still go to USC for the interview.

just go. you never want to cut off any chances and regret it in future. i am not sure how much it would cost but assuming if you are from the US, it wouldn't cost more than 500 to fly across the country and couple nights hotel. You can make back this money really quick in future anyway. Just go and enjoy some hollywood life and treat it as a vacation. in the unlikely case you don't get in any of the 4, you would waste thousands to reapply. hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Members don't see this ad :)
what i would do is the following...if you're confident in your stats, push the interview to a later date if possible, that way if you find out by dec. 1st that you didn't get in anywhere you still have the opportunity to interview. USC fills their class up in segments, so they aren't proponents of rolling admissions..so you really wouldn't be putting yourself in a bad place.

Do it!

Anything pre-dec is a golden opportunity. Look at it this way...you already paid so much for undergrad...so much for for the DAT...so much for DAT material...so much for the AADSAS...so much for application fees all that for your future...dont go cheap now lol i interviewed there last week and yea its very expensive but it was my first time in LA so look at it as a trip :)

what i would do is the following...if you're confident in your stats, push the interview to a later date if possible, that way if you find out by dec. 1st that you didn't get in anywhere you still have the opportunity to interview. USC fills their class up in segments, so they aren't proponents of rolling admissions..so you really wouldn't be putting yourself in a bad place.

If USC isn't your first choice, just schedule the interview after dec. 1. People get too stressed out about going to a million interviews. If you schedule it after dec. 1st it'll be the best of both worlds for you. It sounds like you want it as a back up, if you schedule it after dec. 1st then it'll be just that. But from how it sounds, you don't really need a back up. Don't forget about all of that deposit money you have to come up with.

Sounds like you want to roll the dice. Well then, go yo seven eleven, field eleven, pays 15 to 1.

From 1 to 10, how confident are you in getting in this year, with those 4 interviews already?

If it's 10, then don't go, but if it's anything less, then go.

The question you have to ask yourself is where do you draw the line. If your confident you only need to even apply to 1 school, if you aren't then you would have applied to all of them and gone to every interview you got.

I would go if I can see myself being a dental student at USC.

That would actually be my #1 reason for whether to go to an interview or not. Otherwise, I'm willing to wait, even if I don't get in to the other schools that I've applied. An education for a career is important so make sure you like where you're going!

Think scenario:

If you got into USC, and the other schools reject you, what would you do?
If the answer is you would still go to USC, then attend the interview.
If not, then don't attend if it's already expensive to attend it and if you don't want to go to that school!

im a stats major and i understand how to compound numbers. the schools i have interviews at, have 60% to 70% acceptances. therefore, i have very high chance to get at least 1 out of the 4. Plus, I might get invited to more schools before december 1st. I have applied to nearly 25 schools. Assuming basic or advanced math, I have an exceptionally high % of gaining acceptance, since 3 out of the 4 schools have a 70% acceptance rates.

Any more thoughts?

Last edited:
im a stats major and i understand how to compound numbers. the schools i have interviews at, have 60% to 70% acceptances. therefore, i have very high chance to get at least 1 out of the 4. Plus, I might get invited to more schools before december 1st. I have applied to nearly 25 schools. Assuming basic or advanced math, I have an exceptionally high % of gaining acceptance, since 3 out of the 4 schools have a 70% acceptance rates.

Any more thoughts?

Dang, I should have paid more attention in stats. lol.

Members don't see this ad :)

Any more thoughts?

You're right about the stats. If the 3 schools had 70% chance each, then you have a 97.3% chance of getting at least 1 acceptance. (1-(0.3)^3)*100
However, many times in real life, things don't go the way the numbers predict. I would go check out USC for fun.

You're right about the stats. If the 3 schools had 70% chance each, then you have a 97.3% chance of getting at least 1 acceptance. (1-(0.3)^3)*100
However, many times in real life, things don't go the way the numbers predict. I would go check out USC for fun.

ye i dunno im a numbers guy, thats pretty much why i dont play lotto. the numbers are heavy in my favor. im gonna think about it and then decide.

Any more thoughts?

HUH??? those numbers mean NOTHING. just because each of your interview has 60~70 percent chance of acceptance after interview, it means nothing if you bomb each and everyone of them. I wouldnt risk it. I recommend accepting their generous offer and go to the interview... i mean you did pay ~250 dollars to apply there. Oh and BTW i know plenty of ppl that has no acceptance with 4-5 interviews from last cycle

I guess my point is. Youre doing it wrong. doing math wrong. That statistic you see in the guide is merely percent of ppl got accepted after interview. It does not tell you for example, How well APPLICANT A did in the interview and indicate he or she got accepted.

Last edited:
Better solution is to reschedule your interview with USC for a post-Dec date. Make some good excuse such as a "private family matter". This way you'll hear back from your other schools on Dec. 1 and have the option at that point.

HUH??? those numbers mean NOTHING. just because each of your interview has 60~70 percent chance of acceptance after interview, it means nothing if you bomb each and everyone of them. I wouldnt risk it. I recommend accepting their generous offer and go to the interview... i mean you did pay ~250 dollars to apply there. Oh and BTW i know plenty of ppl that has no acceptance with 4-5 interviews from last cycle

I guess my point is. Youre doing it wrong. doing math wrong. That statistic you see in the guide is merely percent of ppl got accepted after interview. It does not tell you for example, How well APPLICANT A did in the interview and indicate he or she got accepted.

lol im sorry and i dont want to offend you. but if you understand basic math, then you should understand that schools accept X amount of interviewees. a 70% acceptance rate means 7 out of 10 are in. Again if you multiple that number by 4 schools, you will see that there is less than a 1% chance that I will get rejected by all 4 schools. I have a 99% chance of getting accepted at least at 1 school.

i dont understand how the numbers are not in my favor. I have spent only $150 applying there, but I have only recently found out a lot of bad things about their form of education.

Last edited:
Better solution is to reschedule your interview with USC for a post-Dec date. Make some good excuse such as a "private family matter". This way you'll hear back from your other schools on Dec. 1 and have the option at that point.

yes yohomey, I do agree with your logic. I will attempt to do that. I have heard a lot of negative things about the school in general and I am not a fan of the PBL approach. I will think about this and reschedule past December 1.

I also have many more schools to hear from. A lot of schools on my list have not given out November interviews or have a lot more spots left. At this point I have been getting at least 1 interview invite per week since October 1st. I think I will get at least 1 or 2 more before December 1st and perhaps closer to my intended location.

USC is very far from me. Thank you guys for your advice.

lol im sorry and i dont want to offend you. but if you understand basic math, then you should understand that schools accept X amount of interviewees. a 70% acceptance rate means 7 out of 10 are in. Again if you multiple that number by 4 schools, you will see that there is less than a 3% chance that I will get rejected by all 4 schools. I have a 97% chance of getting accepted at least at 1 school.

i dont understand how the numbers are not in my favor.

hey just trying to help you out caz you still dont seem to understand what's going on. first of all there arnt very many schools that accept 70percent of their interviewers. and second, and i will repeat once again since you're not getting it. THAT STATS MEAN NOTHING IF YOU DONT PERFORM WELL IN YOUR INTERVIEW/have good stats. I can have 20 interviews and if i bomb everyone of them does that 99.999999% chance of acceptance mean anything? NO

hey just trying to help you out caz you still dont seem to understand what's going on. first of all there arnt very many schools that accept 70percent of their interviewers. and second, and i will repeat once again since you're not getting it. THAT STATS MEAN NOTHING IF YOU DONT PERFORM WELL IN YOUR INTERVIEW/have good stats. I can have 20 interviews and if i bomb everyone of them does that 99.999999% chance of acceptance mean anything? NO

the schools I am interviewing at have acceptance rates of 60-70% as evidenced by the ADEA guide. If you do simple math as stated above even using 60% acceptance rate: therefore (1-(0.4)^4)*100 = 97% of at least 1 school accepting me.

How can you bomb 20 interviews in a row? lol. Have you taken Math before? I am sorry to be so mean to you my friend, but your logic is emotional and includes no math. If I am wrong I would like a mathematical reason, I do not believe I will bomb all interviews and using the math above, I still have an overwhelming shot for at least 1 school. I did not say each and every school.

I do not plan to cancel my interview but I will most likely move it past December 1st. Thank you to all those that contributed to my dilemma! May we all be blessed my brothers and sisters!

ps what the stats mean is that people that bomb the interview get rejected, 30% get rejected. but if I have 4 interviews, it is unlikely (or a 3% chance) that I will be rejected by all schools. Would you bet a million dollars on it? On a 3% chance?

You've already got 5 invitations, which implies that you are a highly qualified applicant. Unless you have absolutely disastrous interviews, you should get accepted to at least one of them, if not many. I went to the USC interview last year. It was the only invitation that I had, so I had no choice. I spent about $6-700 (flight, hotel, food, transportation, etc.), which was not so cheap. God, I wish that I was worrying about the same problem. :)

the schools I am interviewing at have acceptance rates of 60-70% as evidenced by the ADEA guide. If you do simple math as stated above even using 60% acceptance rate: therefore (1-(0.4)^4)*100 = 97% of at least 1 school accepting me.

How can you bomb 20 interviews in a row? lol. Have you taken Math before?

LOL do you think asking such questions will justify what you want to tell your self??? and that 20 interview/0 acceptance was a hypothetical example....-___-; You dont get it do you? try to think out side of the box...and try to understand what i explained.

LOL do you think asking such questions will justify what you want to tell your self??? and that 20 interview/0 acceptance was a hypothetical example....-___-; You dont get it do you? try to think out side of the box...and try to understand what i explained.

well I have worked with numbers all my life and I understand you, but the world works based on %, not emotions. Like I said would you give me a million dollars for a 3% chance at admissions? No you wouldnt. But would you gamble if you had a 97% chance to win?

hope you see my point. I see yours, but its not an emotional choice. I will move my interview and save my $$$ for now. I have 2 other interviews post december, so i feel fine.

Thanks.

How can you bomb 20 interviews in a row? lol. Have you taken Math before?

Next time when you are discussing/arguing with someone about a misunderstanding, don't reply with lowly rude remarks. That doesnt justify whatever you're saying. and wont win you nothing. grow up, we're about to go to professional school

How can you bomb 20 interviews in a row? lol. Have you taken Math before? I am sorry to be so mean to you my friend, but your logic is emotional and includes no math. If I am wrong I would like a mathematical reason, I do not believe I will bomb all interviews and using the math above, I still have an overwhelming shot for at least 1 school. I did not say each and every school.

I do not plan to cancel my interview but I will most likely move it past December 1st. Thank you to all those that contributed to my dilemma! May we all be blessed my brothers and sisters!

ps what the stats mean is that people that bomb the interview get rejected, 30% get rejected. but if I have 4 interviews, it is unlikely (or a 3% chance) that I will be rejected by all schools. Would you bet a million dollars on it? On a 3% chance?

In response to your PM I will write here so others can see as well. Yes, I am in a very similar situation and I am calling Case in the morning to reschedule my interview. I believe in hedging my bets, so I am going to try and reschedule for after Dec 1st, but not too far after. I paid for the application, so I will try and go only IF I don't get any early Dec acceptances.

Also, I dont want to start a stats debate here, (and I have taken many high level stats classes as well) but I somewhat agree with KenKim. The thing is, you cannot treat yourself as a single random variable when assessing the likelihood of acceptance, thus you cannot compound each likelihood to determine a chance of acceptance. Very similar to Schrodinger's cat - you either have the qualities they want or you don't; its 100% or 0%. Additionally, we do not know how many acceptances each one of the accepted already has, therefore we cannot measure for redundancy in the sample pool. Essentially, you cannot determine your "likelihood" based on these acceptance numbers because we cannot garner the level of independence of one acceptance to another, nor can we determine if you have the qualities each school in looking for beforehand. Just my $0.02. :thumbup:

I wouldn't even go to USC considering you are already apprehensive about it.

yes yohomey, I do agree with your logic. I will attempt to do that. I have heard a lot of negative things about the school in general and I am not a fan of the PBL approach. I will think about this and reschedule past December 1.

I also have many more schools to hear from. A lot of schools on my list have not given out November interviews or have a lot more spots left. At this point I have been getting at least 1 interview invite per week since October 1st. I think I will get at least 1 or 2 more before December 1st and perhaps closer to my intended location.

USC is very far from me. Thank you guys for your advice.

I wouldn't even go to USC considering you are already apprehensive about it.

Might be a good reason TO go. Could clear up some misconceptions or worries you have about the program.

well I have worked with numbers all my life and I understand you, but the world works based on %, not emotions. Like I said would you give me a million dollars for a 3% chance at admissions? No you wouldnt. But would you gamble if you had a 97% chance to win?

hope you see my point. I see yours, but its not an emotional choice. I will move my interview and save my $$$ for now. I have 2 other interviews post december, so i feel fine.

Thanks.

Hi, I'm a math person, so I will tell you why your 97% prediction may be inaccurate.

First, you are assuming that 70% acceptance is random, just like drawing a ball out of a bag. In that case, yes, your chances of being accepted to at least 1 school is 97%+. However, the 70% acceptance is not random. A person who interviews well has a higher chance of getting acceptance than someone who interviews poorly.

So, given that you're a good interviewee, your chances will be higher than the predicted 97%. Given that you're a poor interviewee, your chances will be lower than 97%.

You're a statistics major, so you should know what random selection means, and how a biased/non-random selection can influence your results.

Might be a good reason TO go. Could clear up some misconceptions or worries you have about the program.

Exactly! Always good to go checkout the school (USC in this case) and see how it is with your own eyes. :thumbup: