1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

to kick my own ass, or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrJonesss, Dec 13, 2008.

1. DrJonesss

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys, new member, longtime lurker...

My basic question is...how good will upper level (as in beyond pre-reqs) science courses look on an app?

I've got a conditional acceptance to PCOM right now (gotta keep a 3.5 gpa and score an 8/8/8 mcat), and I'm done with pre-reqs once I finish orgo this spring. I've visited PCOM, and I genuinely love the school, its not just a backup plan. I could just sit back, take it easy, finish my graduation requirements (I'm a psych major), and keep inflating my cGPA with A's in psychology courses.

I'm considering picking up a Biochem minor, though. Besides biochem, obviously, it includes Immunology and Genetics, and a few electives. I'm trying to shape up my application because I'm also looking at TCMC. It's close to home and would save me a fortune on housing, besides the fact that it's shaping up to be a great school. I just feel like I'm slacking because, no offense to anyone, I find the psychology major easy. At the same time, I'm already behind other psych majors because of the pre-reqs. I've looked at what I've got left, it's doable, but I'll have a full courseload every semester (18+ credits).
    So enough of me rambling...would it be worth it?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bacchus

Administrator Moderator Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I reread and saw conditional this time. My advice still stands in that I'd recommend getting the PCOM acceptance. Don't worry about a minor because its not going to help you. You have a semester left, sail through it instead of trying to stay afloat.

#2 Bacchus, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
  4. tnig469

tnig469 No more Kryptonite!
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Being a psych major is slightly different I assume. If you have to finish you major and cannot really take anymore classes, I would not take any extra.

The higher level science classes may help you later out in medical school, but you seem to be overly busy with 18+ credit hours every semester.

Of course this is just me. If I were in your situation, I would finish my major and just relax....then let the pain come when med school starts!

5. MilkmanAl

MilkmanAl Al the Ass Mod
    Physician 7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, I'd say a definite no to the minor. Pump your GPA up like crazy, and secure that acceptance.

6. dec0y

dec0y Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

word.

7. p30doc

p30doc Ever true and unwavering
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Axe the minor idea, stick with what is working as far as keeping your GPA up. That is infinitely more important than what particular courses you have taken.

8. cpants

cpants Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Congratulations on your acceptance. Don't jeopardize it by chancing a drop in GPA. While biochem or genetics work could help you with your work in medical school, it certainly isn't worth taking them if a bad grade or withdrawal could jeopardize your acceptance. One option would be to take one of these classes pass/fail for your own benefit. You certainly don't need to add any minors or anything like that. No one will ever look at your undergrad major/minor after med school. Get your BA, keep your GPA up, and in 4.5 years you will be a DO!

Oh, and have a blast this last semester of college. Now is the time to have tons of great experiences, party, travel....you won't have the time next year, that's for sure.

9. Bacchus

Attending Physician
    Good advice. However, if they are in the program that I am thinking of, I think credits are loaded on so that it won't be so easy, unfortunately.

10. chewsnuffles

chewsnuffles is a series of tubes
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Yeah, you have your acceptance, finish school and party as hard as possible.

Also, sit in on those classes as much as possible if you think you want to have a first pass at that info without jepordizing your GPA.

The overall theme on SDN is minor's are useless and they can only drag down your GPA

11. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Sure it will, you get to go to PCOM and challenge Bacchus to multiple rounds of guitar hero ;)

:thumbup:

12. Bacchus

Attending Physician
    Medium only, thanks.

13. DrJonesss

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks so much for all your help guys. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to do it, it's not worth potentially jeopardizing things with PCOM. I liked the idea about just taking one or two in prep for med school, or doing pass/fail.