to Kimberli Cox and other Australian Medical Graduates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

seth2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Can you please tell me what your opinions are about Australian medical schools (Flinders in particular) vs. osteopathic medical schools. Can you answer in regards to...

1. Quality of medical education
2. rotation and residency options
3. Stigma towards the degree in the USA
4. Overall experience

I also wanted to know if Flinders graduates(and other Australian medical schools' graduates) were at the same level as Caribbean, Indian, European medical graduates--or are they considered more competitive by residency directors. My last question is....Is it true that IMG residency positions will be cut down from 30% to 10% soon---if so, wouldn't it be wiser to go the DO route. Thanks in advance.
-seth

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Seth...

I'm starting residency (on Paeds Surgery) in less than 9 hours so will make this brief.

Please see the following URL in which I speak extensively about Flinders and include some other URls in which I do the same.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000375[/ URL]

I hope it helps. Otherwise please feel free to email me (although it might take me awhile to answer) with any other specific questions. I cannot answer the question about how PDs look at it, although my experience has been that it is a highly regarded school.

Although most of the graduates have applied for primary care specialties, your options for residency are unlimited. You can match into General Surgery as I did, or Orthopaedics as someone the year ahead of me did. It all depends on you - your USMLE scores, your gpa, US clinical experience, etc. While a US grad may very well be preferred over you, if you do well on those parameters you will stand an excellent chance of getting the residency of your choice.

As for residency positions being cut, again - they've been talking about it for YEARS and YEARS. I am unaware of any official move to actually cut the number of positions nor to prevent US citizens from obtaining residency positions. If and when a cut is made, non-citizens will be the ones barred. It is illegal for the US government to loan students money and then prevent them from returning to their own country to make the money for which the degree was offered.