SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

to laptop or not?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by fishtolive, Jan 15, 2002.

1. fishtolive

fishtolive Senior Member 7+ Year Member

when i start this summer, should i get a laptop? i was wondering what the folks already in med school think about this...thanx!
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. caffeinegirl

caffeinegirl Physician 10+ Year Member

Nov 2, 2000
    I think it depends on the school...some schools require a laptop (duke does) and offer leasing programs from the school. But beware! I suggest that if you have to get a laptop, you buy it yourself instead of going through the leasing program from the's a lot cheaper!

However, the laptops aren't that useful, except to surf the web during class. The portability of it is good, so I don't have to print out everything, I just lug my laptop around to look at class notes instead.
  4. GTMD2Bee

GTMD2Bee Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Definitely a thumbs up no the lap top from me. I bought a laptop before med school, and another one while in med school when the first one crashed. I found it incredibly usefull in that my school offered a lot of outside rotations, and it comes in handy when you travel to another city for a rotation. Most of the time there were computers at these outside rotations, but I preferred doing the work on mine. Plus you can go outside to work, work in bed, work on the floor, etc...
  5. Dodge This

Dodge This Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Apr 11, 2001
    The stuff you'll be doing the most will probably be accessing class materials online, using MEDLINE and other databases, and exchanging e-mail. Your school should have a computer lab available for these things. I personally have a laptop, but I hardly ever take it to school. I like the idea of mobility if I need it, but I hardly do. It may serve you better to save the money.

It will depend more on your school than anything else. Here at USC, we have our own desks with ethernet ports, plus the library is wired as well, so it's nice to have one. However, no one uses their laptop in lecture because the school provides hard copies of the notes.