May 23, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
My husband is considering going to college to someday become a Dr. He is 34. Is it too late for him to consider this career path since it'll take 4 years to get through college, 4 years to get through medical school, then another 4+ years to get through an internship?

FrkyBgStok

10+ Year Member
Aug 7, 2005
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There are many people older, so that is really up to you guys.

Jun 13, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Many friends of mine have classmates in the late 30's and even a few in the early 40's. It's not out of the question, although it would be nice to choose a lower cost school so it doesn't take so many years afterwards to pay back the education costs. Residency/Fellowship times differ greatly depending on the specialty he wants to do, he will be practicing much sooner as primary care than surgery. The average age of people entering med school is also steadily on the rise, somewhere around 25 now I think..

DirkFor3

5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2012
Status
It really is up to him to see if the benefits outweigh the costs. In terms of age, though, I think he could definitely still go for it. At the undergrad school I go to, for instance, I've met a couple of people wanting to go to med school that are in their late 30's and have kids that are teenagers so its definitely still possible

May 4, 2011
Status
Medical Student
I would say "yes", but only if it is his true passion.
MedBound1, as far as I know, Family Medicine residency is 3 years long while surgery is 5 (unless you decide to subspecialize, or go to a school like UCSF, which requires 2 years of research). So, in the grand scheme of things 2 years is not such a big deal.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
It's never too late. My oldest student ever graduated at age 53, and some of my all-time best students were in their 40s when they matriculated.

Doctors tend to be long-lived, so even if your husband sets up practice at age 46, he'll probably be practising for another 30-40 years.

If it's a calling, should go for it.

My husband is considering going to college to someday become a Dr. He is 34. Is it too late for him to consider this career path since it'll take 4 years to get through college, 4 years to get through medical school, then another 4+ years to get through an internship?

May 4, 2011
Status
Medical Student
OP, I also would like to add that a lot depends on the financial situation of a family. It is somewhat obvious, but I just wanted to point it out. Going to school in mid 30's with 3 kids, no savings and a spouse warking at Wallmart might be exceptionally tough. However, going to school with 1 child, a supporting spouse (in all respects) and a 6 -digit number on your account is something very-very different.

May 24, 2012
Status
Non-Student
No, 34 is not too late at all. My oldest successful client was 47 and I've worked with many applicants in their 30s who got admitted to great programs. What matters much more than your husband's age are 1) his reasons for going to medical school (simply wanting a career change isn't enough) and 2) the background experiences, in whatever field he works in now, that can show his capabilities in med school and as a physician later. The latter is often a challenge for older applicants who aren't able to devote as much time to volunteer (especially clinical) activities, so it can be hard to convince the admissions committees that they know what they're getting into.

Good luck to him -- and to you as a future Doctor's Wife!

sworzeh

Crazy Rabbit Lady
5+ Year Member
Mar 21, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
OP, your name makes me wonder if this is even a question. How could you be a future doctor's wife if he couldn't do it?