To Liberal Arts Majors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought you liberal arts majors could use this piece of advice--
TAKE AS MANY SCIENCE CLASSES (ANATOMY, EMBRYO, MOLECULAR BIO, BIOCHEM) as you can on top of your majors. I am a first year med student who was a History major in college. I am definately at a disadvantage compared to my classmates, so I thought some of you would want to know!
Good luck getting in!

Members don't see this ad.

My pre-med advisor says "study the LA stuff that you like now, cause it's the last chancew you'll get." He says that if you ask a first year med student (like you) what they wish they had taken in undergrad, they will say: more science, biochemistry, etc. just like the guy in the above post. If you ask that same student in the third or fourth year of med school, they will say they wish they had taken more English, art history, photo, French, etc. The truth is, once you're in med school, you're almost locked into science for the rest of your life, so if you are passionate about the arts, be sure to study them in undergrad--according to my pre-med advisor. They probably all say the same thing though.

Hmm...well, I'm a fourth year med student and was a human biology major undergrad--which was considered part of the liberal arts and sciences school. I would still heavily recommend taking as many science classes as you can--especially a biochem, anatomy, and physiology class. It's not that you shouldn't take a mix of classes; it's just that it's very, very helpful to have heard things once before getting to med school and feeling like you have to know everything about all of the subjects. Repeptition is the key. I do agree that it's great to have a balance and be well rounded, but I still think the first two years of med school would have been a little less stressful had I taken biochem, for example. My premed advisor said the same thing to me when I said I was planning on taking an anatomy class and lab my senior year--that I would get it all in med school, so I shouldn't take it during my undergrad years. I was very thankful that I did, because I was able to spend a little less time in the anatomy lab and was able to help teach my friends what I already knew since I had some exposure to it already. Just a thought :)

--Brendan--
<"}}}}}><

Good point.Any other non-science majors already in med-school and wishing you had taken more science classes? (Other than the pre-reqs obviously)