TO LICENSED THERAPISTS - Additional advice for board preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SportEhab120

Physical Therapist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Haven't posted on here in a WHILE, but I will be graduating from the University of Mississippi Medical Center DPT program on May 21st. I have been reviewing material on and off since January and have just recently started studying intensely for the NPTE which I plan to take in early July. I have also taken the TherapyEd board preparation 2-day course as well to determine my strengths and weaknesses and find out better ways to approach the exam. My question to all currently licensed PTs is how long did you study for the NPTE and what type of daily schedule did you go by (hours of study per day, days per week, etc.)? Is anyone else taking their NPTE within the next 3-4 months?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! Congrats for "almost" finishing!

I worked full time right after graduation (commuting 1.5 hours each way via train from NYC to CT) so I had little time to study during the week.

I also took a 2 day study course around graduation time (a good introduction to studying again after months of clinic and usually some good test taking tips are shared). I graduated in late May and took the boards in mid-August.

Because of my schedule, I spent every weekend (10-12 hours/day) studying from O'Sullivan for 2 months. About 1 month in, I started to take the practice tests (I think there were 3) to get a sense of how the test is set up and to prep for the way the questions are asked. Also, it gave me an idea of where I was deficient....and left me wondering if I'd ever pass the test! :eek:

I also took practice tests from Giles and the online PEATs through FSBPT. IMO, the PEATs were most similar to the boards while O'sullivan's were the hardest (If you can get a 72-75% on O'sullivan, you should be good for the boards). I think with the other tests, you should strive for 75-80%. If you can get above that in any test, then I think you're ready!

Relax the couple days before the test. Go do something you enjoy (go to the beach, golfing, or shopping). By that time you need to give your brain a rest.

I am not the greatest test taker (much more of a practical guy) and was able to pass the test doing the above. But that was based on my work situation.

Hope that helps!

I worked full time right after graduation (commuting 1.5 hours each way via train from NYC to CT) so I had little time to study during the week.

I also took a 2 day study course around graduation time (a good introduction to studying again after months of clinic and usually some good test taking tips are shared). I graduated in late May and took the boards in mid-August.

Because of my schedule, I spent every weekend (10-12 hours/day) studying from O'Sullivan for 2 months. About 1 month in, I started to take the practice tests (I think there were 3) to get a sense of how the test is set up and to prep for the way the questions are asked. Also, it gave me an idea of where I was deficient....and left me wondering if I'd ever pass the test! :eek:

I also took practice tests from Giles and the online PEATs through FSBPT. IMO, the PEATs were most similar to the boards while O'sullivan's were the hardest (If you can get a 72-75% on O'sullivan, you should be good for the boards). I think with the other tests, you should strive for 75-80%. If you can get above that in any test, then I think you're ready!

Relax the couple days before the test. Go do something you enjoy (go to the beach, golfing, or shopping). By that time you need to give your brain a rest.

I am not the greatest test taker (much more of a practical guy) and was able to pass the test doing the above. But that was based on my work situation.

Hope that helps!

That's WONDERFUL advice Minn. I really appreciate it. I've been debating working under a temp license as well, but I feel as if I need all the time I can get to study for the NPTE. I've never been good at studying for long hours on end but I figured 5 days a week, 6-8 hours a day for 6-8 weeks is good enough with practice exams every other week. Some say finding your weaknesses and focusing only on those areas can be sufficient for passing the exam. What do you think? Anyone else have study strategies that differ?

Members don't see this ad :)
As a soon to be new grad who just opend O'Sullivan today to start studying I'm also interested to hear what others did to study. I wright my exam July
10th (im doing the canadian version by the way---from canada :)

Do people just use the review text, or do people use their class notes to?? I just find there is sooo much info to cover in the next 2 months....definatley a stressful time!

I only used my school notes to back up something I wasn't grasping from the book. Thus, I recommend using it sparingly.

SportE, obviously study it all in the beginning, but focus on your deficiencies, especially towards the end.

what are peoples thoughts on how detailed we have to learn information for the exam? In O'sullivan they go into a lot of detail. For example, they discuss the osteotomy of each bone (concave tiba on convex femoral condyles..etc). Is that stuff neccesary to memorize? What about, for example, the cords, branches and trunks of the brachial or lumbar plexus? It just seems overwhelming to cram 2 years of courses in my head for one exam haha

I think this is where practice exams are helpful. Will help narrow needed and unneeded info. I say what's more important is how to take specific info and apply it clinically. Concave-convex rules, nerve branches are very important. However, questions will be more of "decreased bicep reflex, tingling to middle finger, decreased sensation to lateral calf, mobilization of tibia to promote extension, etc". You need to know the specifics to apply it. However, you gotta watch out for erroneous information given in the questions!

I agree with Minn. It's not so much about how detailed the information is but about how to apply the information clinically. I at least got that out of my TherapyEd prep course. As a matter of fact, I can't recall a single question from any of my practice exams going into too much detail; however, to deduce and use inductive reasoning to answer correctly we have to know some things in slight detail. For instance, knowing what adaptive equipment may be necessary for a C6 complete SCI...But for right now I'm trying to cover the areas that are emphasized the most on the exam...Musculoskeletal and Neuro.

I need ur help i feel everything is easy but gets disappointed suddenly to take the main npte i have read blue boo twice n therapyed susan sreview once iam planning to take in june end/julyfirst week iam in houston if any one is interested in group study i welcome you for proper knowledge sharing which would be useful to clear the exam with confidence levels high.now i feel where iam and i strted my preo frm march end and iam graduated in2001 please provide me guidence in which way to revise well to clear my exam

Hope that helps!

If anyone is interested in studying for the boards in Pittsburgh area, let me know! I am looking for a study partner!

Is anyone purchasing the new book coming out this month?? I know O'Sullivan will be available on Nov 21st. I have the previous year book and I am just curious how different can it be! If anyone compare the book please post something..Thanks.