To LOI or not to LOI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swtiepie711

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I have one top choice school, where I would go above all others. During my interview, I told my interviewers that it was my top choice & why. My plan was to not send an LOI unless I was waitlisted, given that I verbally told them etc. What do you think? Send the LOI if waitlisted or now or never?

Members don't see this ad.

If you made a verbal commitment at the interview that you would attend that school as your #1 choice if admitted, they probably noted that in your file - if it mattered to them. LOI's are, at best, a last-ditch measure so I probably wouldn't send it if you discussed it in your interview, but I doubt it matters much one way or the other. If you do send it, don't wait until you're waitlisted - it wouldn't look very sincere if you already mentioned it at the interview. Having said that (and sounding more negative than I intended to), good luck on getting your #1 choice!!

If you made a verbal commitment at the interview that you would attend that school as your #1 choice if admitted, they probably noted that in your file - if it mattered to them. LOI's are, at best, a last-ditch measure so I probably wouldn't send it if you discussed it in your interview, but I doubt it matters much one way or the other. If you do send it, don't wait until you're waitlisted - it wouldn't look very sincere if you already mentioned it at the interview. Having said that (and sounding more negative than I intended to), good luck on getting your #1 choice!!

Yea, I never intended to send an LOI to any school - but all this LOI talk on the boards makes me wonder.... oh well, back to the original plan of no LOI :) Thanks for the $0.02 :D

Members don't see this ad :)

Why would it look insincere if you sent a LOI after an interview where you told them the same thing?

I was thinking about writing an LOI for my top choice post-interview as well. What are the reasons people have for waiting until they're on the waitlist to send? I feel as though by then there will be fewer spots and that an LOI then will not go as far as an LOI now.

I was thinking about writing an LOI for my top choice post-interview as well. What are the reasons people have for waiting until they're on the waitlist to send? I feel as though by then there will be fewer spots and that an LOI then will not go as far as an LOI now.

A LOI serves to encourage them to choose your application for acceptance over anotherwise similar applicant that has not expressed an enthusiastic interest in the school. At the pre-interview stage, there are simply so many other applicants to choose from that such judgements for interview invites can me made just by looking at stats, EC's, and such. If you were gonna get an interview, you'd probably get one with or without the letter. But i'm sure there are some situations pre-interview where it may be appropriate. Once you have spent your LOI currency though, its spent. Careful selection of the school and timing is everything.

Well, I guess I held off on one because I have a feeling that a decision may have already been made on my file at the school - in which case, it won't affect anything and I might just wait to see what they have to say before sending that LOI. Also, like the other poster said - you should only send one, so you should be absolutely sure

i sent in a loi after being waitlisted at my absolute first choice. i sent in a few update letters too, via email, postal mail, and telefax. i even considered using smoke signals and telepathy. never heard from them again (not even a rejection letter at the end of the summer). i'm just hoping they'll give me an interview when i reapply.