To my friends on SDN...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glimmer1991

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Today, I am stressed out beyond belief with worrying about dental school, my future debt, my classes, and how in the world I am going to make it out of this semester alive.

Strangely, that stress has made me feel sappy, since I know many of you all are going through the same thing.

SDN attracts a massive variety of people. From the undying sarcastics, to the overzealous freshman pre-dents who haven't yet learned the ways of Google search, to the people who are just there to help, to the relentless optimists, to the realists, and to the others (like myself) who have been all of these things at one point or another, I have found one commonality: almost every person I have talked to on this site is wholly deserving of achieving their dream of becoming a dentist.

Right now, we are all in various stages of realizing and accomplishing this dream. Some people are having absolutely no trouble racking up the interviews, and to you, I say a huge, "Congratulations!" You've worked hard, and it is finally starting to pay off. And then, sadly, there are others who are being overlooked and scrounging for invites. Sometimes, we can help to pinpoint why this might be the case--but many other times, it seems to be a huge mystery as to why we aren't desirable applicants.

I know how hard this process is. It is easy to get caught up in the stress of it, and I am entirely guilty of this. I am having to learn to take this process day by day and not let the uncertainty consume me. When you want something so bad and it all comes down to this, it is hard not to agonize over every little thing that happens. It's a funny but depressing cycle: You are worried because you don't have an interview. You cry, you get angry, you get numb. Then, you finally DO get an interview, and you cry happy tears. But then, guess what? You get anxious again because you have to interview, and it feels like your whole FUTURE is riding on that interview. After your interview, you go home and overanalyze every single word you said and beat yourself up over how you could have better presented yourself. Rinse and repeat.

Nobody said this process would be easy, and when it comes down to it, we all know that everything worth having takes hard work. Some of us may have gone in with unrealistic views of what would happen to us, and I'll admit I'm guilty of this to some extent. We all hear the horror stories of people who look like fine applicants on paper just not snatching up any interviews or having to wait months to finally secure one. "Oh, but that won't happen to me!" we think. But, oh yes, it can, and some of us are feeling the sting of that fact quite vividly. Sometimes, a dose of reality (and even humility) can be a good thing, and this is a learning process for so many of us. Even despite our best efforts, things might not turn out exactly as we had planned.

You know what, though? I have found that sometimes, my "failures" are actually blessings in disguise. Though I put massive effort into practically everything I do, my plans don't always work out. I may be sad at first, but I have realized over the years that good things happen to good people who are passionate and hard-working. We have all worked so hard.

And, because of that, we will all end up where we need to be.

It might not be an immediate gratification sort of thing--we might even have to try again next cycle--but it will work out. I bet that when it comes down to it, few of us truly have much to complain about. The problems I am facing right now pale in comparison to those of so many others. I once bemoaned the interviews I hadn't received, but I finally took a step back and looked at the reality of my situation. I have received three interviews at INCREDIBLE schools that I would be so grateful and humbled to have the opportunity to attend. Why worry over the "what ifs" and "maybes?" I'm going to be thankful for what I have.

I could keep on gushing for days, but I'll cut it off before I get too mushy. Best of luck to all of you, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. SDN has greatly shaped my pre-dental experience, and I wouldn't be where I am today without having been an active member of this site. You all deserve to achieve your goals. And if you keep up the passion and hard work, you all will. It's inevitable. Just take this one day at a time. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Today, I am stressed out beyond belief with worrying about dental school, my future debt, my classes, and how in the world I am going to make it out of this semester alive.

Strangely, that stress has made me feel sappy, since I know many of you all are going through the same thing.

SDN attracts a massive variety of people. From the undying sarcastics, to the overzealous freshman pre-dents who haven't yet learned the ways of Google search, to the people who are just there to help, to the relentless optimists, to the realists, and to the others (like myself) who have been all of these things at one point or another, I have found one commonality: almost every person I have talked to on this site is wholly deserving of achieving their dream of becoming a dentist.

Right now, we are all in various stages of realizing and accomplishing this dream. Some people are having absolutely no trouble racking up the interviews, and to you, I say a huge, "Congratulations!" You've worked hard, and it is finally starting to pay off. And then, sadly, there are others who are being overlooked and scrounging for invites. Sometimes, we can help to pinpoint why this might be the case--but many other times, it seems to be a huge mystery as to why we aren't desirable applicants.

I know how hard this process is. It is easy to get caught up in the stress of it, and I am entirely guilty of this. I am having to learn to take this process day by day and not let the uncertainty consume me. When you want something so bad and it all comes down to this, it is hard not to agonize over every little thing that happens. It's a funny but depressing cycle: You are worried because you don't have an interview. You cry, you get angry, you get numb. Then, you finally DO get an interview, and you cry happy tears. But then, guess what? You get anxious again because you have to interview, and it feels like your whole FUTURE is riding on that interview. After your interview, you go home and overanalyze every single word you said and beat yourself up over how you could have better presented yourself. Rinse and repeat.

Nobody said this process would be easy, and when it comes down to it, we all know that everything worth having takes hard work. Some of us may have gone in with unrealistic views of what would happen to us, and I'll admit I'm guilty of this to some extent. We all hear the horror stories of people who look like fine applicants on paper just not snatching up any interviews or having to wait months to finally secure one. "Oh, but that won't happen to me!" we think. But, oh yes, it can, and some of us are feeling the sting of that fact quite vividly. Sometimes, a dose of reality (and even humility) can be a good thing, and this is a learning process for so many of us. Even despite our best efforts, things might not turn out exactly as we had planned.

You know what, though? I have found that sometimes, my "failures" are actually blessings in disguise. Though I put massive effort into practically everything I do, my plans don't always work out. I may be sad at first, but I have realized over the years that good things happen to good people who are passionate and hard-working. We have all worked so hard.

And, because of that, we will all end up where we need to be.

It might not be an immediate gratification sort of thing--we might even have to try again next cycle--but it will work out. I bet that when it comes down to it, few of us truly have much to complain about. The problems I am facing right now pale in comparison to those of so many others. I once bemoaned the interviews I hadn't received, but I finally took a step back and looked at the reality of my situation. I have received three interviews at INCREDIBLE schools that I would be so grateful and humbled to have the opportunity to attend. Why worry over the "what ifs" and "maybes?" I'm going to be thankful for what I have.

I could keep on gushing for days, but I'll cut it off before I get too mushy. Best of luck to all of you, and I mean that from the bottom of my heart. SDN has greatly shaped my pre-dental experience, and I wouldn't be where I am today without having been an active member of this site. You all deserve to achieve your goals. And if you keep up the passion and hard work, you all will. It's inevitable. Just take this one day at a time. :)

Thank you.

by the way did u hear from your state schools yet? besides case and uop

never mind lol I finished reading your posts and found you heard from 3 schools total. Good job.

Last edited:
Great post! Right in the feels, totally can relate.

Keep ya head up bumble butt.

Members don't see this ad :)
When you want something so bad and it all comes down to this, it is hard not to agonize over every little thing that happens. It's a funny but depressing cycle: You are worried because you don't have an interview. You cry, you get angry, you get numb. Then, you finally DO get an interview, and you cry happy tears. But then, guess what? You get anxious again because you have to interview, and it feels like your whole FUTURE is riding on that interview. After your interview, you go home and overanalyze every single word you said and beat yourself up over how you could have better presented yourself. Rinse and repeat.

Don't worry, that cycle doesn't end with the joy of getting in. About two weeks into school it starts over, only this time of the academic variety. You'll see once you get to gross anatomy. ;)

How dare you make me feel things at a time like this! I am trying to be stressed here...the nerve.

the world needs more people like glimmer to balance out people like me

Wow, that's exactly what I'm feeling. It feels like I have bipolar disorder, I'm extremely happy for getting interviews then I get worried about getting an acceptance then I get depressed when I remember how much it costs.

Good post. I go through those emotions sometimes. Sometimes, I think I'm lucky to get the interviews, then I realize that I could be that person with a gagillion interviews who doesn't get in....then I get stressed again. Like the other day, I was stressing about not getting an invite from Howard while everybody else has gotten one, but I just figured I should be content with what I have. Good post though

I go through these emotions a lot so you never can tell if I'm going to be overly excited or depressed on a particular day haha. I just keep praying that an adcom member who's interviewing me will be able to see my undying desire to become a dentist and that I'm able to be successful in dental school! :xf: I agree with many if not all of us have worked our butts off and deserve to have our dreams come true- hope they do for everyone! :luck:

Wow, that's exactly what I'm feeling. It feels like I have bipolar disorder, I'm extremely happy for getting interviews then I get worried about getting an acceptance then I get depressed when I remember how much it costs.

My feelings to a T. Especially when I see the costs of some of the private schools... :scared:

there are others who are being overlooked and scrounging for invites.

Very nice and relatable piece, Glimmer. Thank you also for including applicants from all sides of the spectrum. I'll contribute from my side. I'm an applicant that is still waiting for an interview. I wish I was at that point where I was getting pre-interview jitters. This whole journey has been an uphill battle and whatever I have, despite how much, I have worked my tail off for. Similar to what Teeth's said, I just hope that someone can take an extra second to look at my application and want to hear more about it. However, these feelings you mention, at least for me, have been present long before the application cycle. In fact they started once I started undergrad seven years ago and realized that every point, every credit, every class counts. I just do what I can every day to take my mind off of it and to not worry too much. After all, the application has been submitted and there is nothing I can do to change it at the moment. Realizing this sort of helps.

It feels like I have bipolar disorder

This is so true! Some days I am pretty optimistic and other days I get really bummed out. Especially when some schools like Midwestern AZ and Utah have already rejected me and the ONLY way I found this out was by calling/contacting them. They have YET to send me any piece of mail of e-mail telling me this. It makes me wonder how many other schools I have already been rejected from but just don't know about yet. But this is a topic for another thread.

wow, that's exactly what i'm feeling. It feels like i have bipolar disorder, i'm extremely happy for getting interviews then i get worried about getting an acceptance then i get depressed when i remember how much it costs.

yes. Seriously!

Members don't see this ad :)
I love this place. Such a great mix of nice folks, comedians, *******s, idiots...it's weird to think how drastically different my life would be without SDN.

I have a feeling we would all be lost were it not for the path tread by those before us.

After your interview, you go home and overanalyze every single word you said and beat yourself up over how you could have better presented yourself. Rinse and repeat.

This! EVERY SINGLE TIME! -.- Waiting for Dec 2nd to hit the clock is like waiting for congress to get some works done, which is never..... and ever....

Last edited:
this is so true, i had a dream today that i was checking my aadsas and from the schools that i haven't heard from yet, under the decisions tab it said " are you kidding me?" and the other one said "rejected"

i seriously just want this whole process to be over and done with uh!!!

this is so true, i had a dream today that i was checking my aadsas and from the schools that i haven't heard from yet, under the decisions tab it said " are you kidding me?" and the other one said "rejected"

:laugh: I just had to go and check my portal because of this... Luckily, there were no "Are you kidding me?!"updates in sight!

Having to wait until December 2nd seems like a long time, but it also seems soon. Though this semester has been so ridiculously hard, it has FLOWN by... I can't believe I'm already past midterm! I applied over 4 months ago, and now there are less than 2 to go until I first find something out. Ah! Crazy!

I don't think that I could have said this any better. Glimmer thank you for the post it is much appreciated. To supplement what you have said I would like to share a quote. It states:

This is our one and only chance at mortal life—here and now. The longer we live, the greater is our realization that it is brief. Opportunities come, and then they are gone. I believe that among the greatest lessons we are to learn in this short sojourn upon the earth are lessons that help us distinguish between what is important and what is not. I plead with you not to let those most important things pass you by as you plan for that illusive and nonexistent future when you will have time to do all that you want to do. Instead, find joy in the journey—now.

-Thomas S. Monson

I know that this is true, and have found it most applicable in this dental school application process. It will again apply when we are near the end of our graduate programs looking for jobs. It is super vital to find joy in the journey---now. I may be one of those relentless optimists but know that as long as we look for the positive in everything then we will come to understand who we are in a better perspective, and experience something called real growth. I am a true believer that decisions determine destiny. I am also a true believer that as long as we do our best, then God will do the rest.

Best of luck to all that continue in the waiting and interviewing stages. It will all work out in the end and doubt not, fear not.

This application process has been like nothing I've experienced before. My self esteem has NEVER been so directly tied to whether a complete stranger (adcoms) likes me and I have never focused this much energy on figuring out what the thought processes of others are. I think making it through an application cycle with ur sanity is an accomplishment in itself. Each day of silence seems like forever but in reality this semester is slipping past us all so quickly...D(ecision) Day t-minus 51 days!

Thanks for this post Glimmer!

Nice post Glimmer.

Don't worry we have all been there, but like NDPitch said, the stress doesn't end after the acceptance letter! A couple weeks into school and your wondering how you will ever become a good dentist, with 1500 powerpoint slides to study over the weekend and a practical coming up on a wax-up that you managed to make look like a popcorn kernel..

Something tells me the stress/uncertainty doesn't end after we get the DMD/DDS either.. :rolleyes:

hey congrats on scoring that instate interview. im proud of you

enduring a grueling dental school application cycle builds character, and we will all emerge as stronger, more mature individuals. regardless the outcome

dental school would be an a-hole if it were a person. not only do you have to study but trying to figure out how much time you need to spend to hone your hand skills is a crapshoot. med students have it easy bc you can easily figure out how long ou need to study...anytime you gotta work on a project outside of class kills study time and you have no idea how long you'll be stuck in a lab...if youre used to rockin every quiz/lab/exam in undergra but find out that you have the stubby hands in dental school, you'll get discouraged seeing crappy preps...if youre trying to specialize, got type a personality, and tend to worry easily, you'll get stressed everyday unless you calm yourself down...

if u think ur stressed right now, you'll get even more stressed figuring out which school to go to...

Last edited:
Great post glimmer!

I can definitely relate to all these up and down emotions going through this process. Whatever is meant to be will happen and one can only have faith and wish for the best! :)

Lots of luck to all of you applying and continued success to those that are already enrolled. Crossing my fingers for Dec 2nd!:xf:

Thank you for this post! Applying to dental schools is one of the most stressful event in my life so far. I can definitely relate to all those emotions.

Feeling pretty down right now, and reading this made me feel a little better. Thanks for the post, it's encouraging

Hi Glimmer1991,

Personally speaking, I really enjoy your enthusiasm in your post. Best of luck in your UNC interview. I'm confident that you will ace it :).