To NPs/DNPs, why do some of you think you're almost as good as a doctor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

druggeek

Removed
Oct 1, 2010
    Yes I did sya *almost* because it's ridiculous to even compare somoene who's done less than 10% of the clinical hours of a physician... to a physician.

But why are DNPs such wannabe doctors? Calling yourselves doctors to a patient when clearly you're not a medical doctor... And also claiming to be almost as good when people even on SDN (actual medical students) have said NPs/DNPs make "wtf mistakes" that can lead to problems... Though by being in primary care, almost everything you deal with has nothing to do with life/death situation so you're safe from all that.

Anyways, why be wannabes? :confused:

druggeek

Removed
    Oct 1, 2010
      False.

Primary care physicians save lives every day. We just don't wait until the last minute.

Well, I'm talking more in an emergency sense. As in dealing with a patient with a chronic problem who needs time to time management or someone with basic coughs/colds, usually wont lead to death but it can lead to something worse (often not measured in a study).

Good example:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=11396107&postcount=614

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=12406024&postcount=12

Dranger

ACNP Student
      Army
      Jan 4, 2012
      Best Coast
      1. Other Health Professions Student
        Yes I did sya *almost* because it's ridiculous to even compare somoene who's done less than 10% of the clinical hours of a physician... to a physician.

But why are DNPs such wannabe doctors? Calling yourselves doctors to a patient when clearly you're not a medical doctor... And also claiming to be almost as good when people even on SDN (actual medical students) have said NPs/DNPs make "wtf mistakes" that can lead to problems... Though by being in primary care, almost everything you deal with has nothing to do with life/death situation so you're safe from all that.

Anyways, why be wannabes? :confused:

Regarding your information being from med students on SDN, I have seen MSIIIs and some IVs (from top med schools) say the stupidest or "wtf" interjections during clinical in front of attendings at report or during PBL. Anecdotes are always funny because everyone has them.

I have never seen a mid level claim to be as a "good" as a physician. You pre-med wannabes (Ya that's you) take a few statements from a couple NPs in the limelight and project them onto the entire DNP population.

Please enlighten me with your healthcare experience or go troll harder somewhere else.

BTW I talked to a few attendings at the hospital today about the NP hate on SDN and they just laughed at the idiocy of it all.

About the Ads
        Status
        Not open for further replies.