To NYCOM M2's (or greater)-I think Dr Stepp s*cks as a Physio professor. Agree?

Status
Not open for further replies.

medstudent3563

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
Status
[ Note: This post is in reference to Dr. Stepp- NYCOM's Physiology professor who has a PhD in BIOCHEMISTRY yet teaches PHYSIOLOGY. Unfortunately, he teaches 60-70% of the Physiology course at NYCOM. I'm concerned about this for 2 reasons (which are related)- Reason #1: Dozens (if not hundreds) of my fellow 1st years have put in 100+ hours studying Dr Stepp's 'physiology' material and, I suspect, only 5-10% of it will be useful for 2nd year and for the boards. Reason #2: an unsound knowledge of physiology (which is what NYCOM offers through Dr Stepp's instruction) is going to burn NYCOM's medical students time and time again (during 2nd year with all the pathophysiology classes, for step 1 and beyond). Its really sad the 100+ hours my fellow classmates (and hundreds of NYCOM 1st years before us) have devoted to studying Dr Stepp's physiology is of such low, low yield for our remaing years at NYCOM and beyond. Such a sad waste....]

My question is do you think the material that Dr Stepp's presented (specifically his handouts) prepared you well for 2nd year (with all the systems pathophysiology courses)? In other words, did you learn the 'normals' of these systems from Dr. Stepp's instruction?

For the other Physio professors (Dr. Yu and Dr. Youmans), a student could pretty much open up BRS or a good Physiology textbook and understand what was was being taught and subsequently do well on the exams. But for that little orc Dr. Stepp, he seems to have this little ego trip of not testing stuff that's mainstream (i.e. on the boards or in most medical physiology textbooks) and instead makes test questions based on how well you can memorize, verbatim, his handouts.

So do you NYCOMer's (who finished 1st year) think Dr. Stepp's handouts helped you 2nd year and beyond (in preparation for the boards)?

Personally, I think they should fire Dr. Stepp. Maybe try to reform him but I think he's too old for that. I mean, come on, Dr Stepp teaches at least 60-70% of the physiology course. Something needs to be done about him. Physiology is too important of a class.

But then again, this is NYCOM...where a lot of its faculty leave VOLUNTARILY (half the Anatomy faculty left last year, pretty much the entire OMM faculty left 2-3 years ago). The last thing NYCOM wants to do is to actually fire a professor.

But that's NYCOM for you....putting the system ahead of the students.

Cowboy DO

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2004
Wild West
Visit site
Status
Sounds like someone failed physio +pity+

As i have said before I was a physio-major in college and dr.stepp is the prob one of the best teachers ive ever had. If you cant learn from his packets then you probably shouldnt have gotten into medical school.

OP
M

medstudent3563

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 15, 2005
Status
Cowboy DO said:
Sounds like someone failed physio +pity+

As i have said before I was a physio-major in college and dr.stepp is the prob one of the best teachers ive ever had. If you cant learn from his packets then you probably shouldnt have gotten into medical school.
How is that possible, Physio's not even over you dumbas*! Dr Stepp, one of the best teachers you ever had!?! Damn, I feel sorry for you, learning Physiology from a Biochemistry PhD, what a joke.

And its more the material he presents- why isn't any of his **** in BRS or any standard medical textbook? Okay, maybe some of it is but Dr Stepp devotes a 20 page packet/entire 2-hour lecture to for something BRS devotes one tiny page to or a textbook only devotes 1-2 pages to.

BTW, I've seen your other posts on SDN...your NYCOM's dedicated apologist.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Nov 21, 1998
Over the rainbow
Status
Attending Physician
I'm closing this thread. The reason should be obvious. If the OP's discussion and discourse were less inflammatory and more professional it would be different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.