To Optho Residents

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

keith77

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
can anyone tell me what a typical day is usually like for most opth?

how much of the day is spent in surgery, versus office care?

also, what are the hours like? is there usually call?

lastly, what kinds of step ONE scores are necc.?

thanks so much

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Keith77,

I'll try to answer your questions the best I can.

can anyone tell me what a typical day is usually like for most opth?

This depends on where you do your residency. Most programs are structured by a 3-year tier system.
First Year: spent mostly in clinics during the day to learn the basics of the exam and broad exposure to clinical ophthalmology. You may get to be involved with a few surgeries, but do not count on it.

Second Year: Spent mostly in speciality clinics such as pediatrics, neuro-op, glaucoma, retina, etc... You're in surgery 1 day per week on average with 2-3 cases at first, and you'll do more later in the year. The number of surgeries done will also be dependent on where you do your residency. When you're on call, you'll also be involved with plastics, retina, and open globe repairs.

Third Year: Spent mostly in speciality clinics and average of 2 days per week in surgery. The number of surgical cases will also depend on where you do your residency. Here at Iowa, the third years are getting about 5-10 cases per week. This estimate may be low because some may get more due to call and patients who need surgery.

how much of the day is spent in surgery, versus office care?
Explained above.

also, what are the hours like? is there usually call?

Hours are typically 8AM-5PM. Call schedule will vary from program to program. At some programs, you're in house all night in charge of an eye ER. Wilmer, for instance, is every fourth day. At Iowa, we're on call 4 times a month as a first year (2 weekdays, and 2 weekend days). We can go home at 10 PM, but we may be called back for emergencies. As a second year, we're on call 2 days a month (no weekend days or Fridays). As a third year, things can get busy, but you're back-up at home. If there are surgical cases or problems, then you get called. I know some seniors have had 1-2 cases during the night that involved trauma, retinal detachments, or open globe repairs.

lastly, what kinds of step ONE scores are necc.?

Average STEP 1 scores last year were around 225.

that was awesome! it's people like you that make medicine a nice speciality to be a part of.

thanks so much.