To Ph.D. or not to Ph.D.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

Hello,

Its your friendly neighborhood hopeful. What do ya'll think of matriculating in a Ph.D. program for a year before medical school? It shows graduate level work, and its in biomedical research. No I don't want to finish it. My question is not whether or not I should finish it, but whether or not its going to anger any of the medschools. ;-)

Thanks,
W.

Members don't see this ad.

Some medical schools will require that your department chair release you from the Ph.D. program prior to allowing you to complete their application. Marticulating in a Ph.D. program when you have no intention of finishing is not a good idea.

Doing PhD with no intention of finishing is a big waste of time. Its no easier than medschool. You will be stuck in a lab doing work 10-12 hrs a day if you are not in the library.

Doing a PhD is a major commitment. If I were on an adcom, I would view a person doing a PhD and switching quickly to medicine with suspicion.