To pharm techs: anyone take both PTCB & exCPT? (since employer only accepts one)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey guys. I was recently offered a job as a pharmacy technician at a corporate/retail chain store. However, it appears the chain only accepts certification from the PTCB. When I took my test a few years ago, I took the exCPT (now NHA) test as it was more available in my area.

My understanding is that there are two different agencies offering the exams for a certified PT: PTCB (administers the PTCE) and ICPT (administers the exCPT).

So, although technically, I have a Certified PT License from my state's Board of Pharmacy (since they accept both PTCB/exCPT), I would have to take the exam from PTCB in order for myself to be considered "cert PT" at the store for employee classification purposes.

All job duties and tasks are to be same for a "Cert vs. Non-Cert PT" at the chain--the only downside is that I get a lower wage (no problem for me, I'm all for the experience).

Doing more research, it seems both agencies are nationally accredited. In this case, I wish more employers would accept both agencies as a means of certification. After all, my state's Board considers them okay.. Oh well.

Anyways, has anyone had to take both tests? It would certainly be more of a hassle when reinstating or renewing the certification each time. I would have to renew for both tests now (= more $) if I were to take both. Also, I would have to ask my Board on which certification I would put in their annual renewal form (ex. "Which certification are you affiliated with? PTCB or exCPT"... I guess I would have to say both somehow).

Members don't see this ad.

PTCB is currently more widely recognized and I think you'd be unlikely to run into an employer who doesn't accept it. Why not just do the PTCB and not renew the exCPT when it expires? Will your employer pay the fee for your PTCB test?