To play or not to play-help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shenry

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a sophomore in college. I played Div. 1 soccer last year and earned a 3.4 GPA. I love playing soccer, but my main goal is to attend medical school. I am not able to volunteer/research as much as I would like to while playing soccer. Does anyone have any advice about whether to continuing playing or to concentrate on my studies and research? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical schools love people who are passionate about something (anything!) and I think playing a Division I sport, especially when you love it, certainly demonstrates that. You clearly made solid grades. My opinion would be to play soccer as long as you can continue to make good grades and are able to devote enough time to studying for MCATs. You can use your summer and vacation times for some intensive health care experiences.

I think people fall into the trap of "will this look good to medical schools?" far too often. Do what you love! College is such a short and wonderful experience. Make the most of it! Medical school will still be there and they like all types. Finally, think about how you would look back on this decision if you never get into medical school (I'm not suggesting this will happen) or decide medical school is not for you. Live your life so so you can look back with no regrets.

Good luck to you!

I had a friend in college who played soccer, did research, and was in a fraternity. And, he went to medical school. Moral of the story? It's up to you. There's time to do it all. Hopefully, you are the type of person who does well with a heavy workload. If you aren't now you will be in medical school. You can devote as little as 1-2 hours a week to volunteering (I did 4hrs a week) and after a few years of that you have a significant amount of experience. Research, however, requires a little more time spent in one place. But who says that you have to do research and volunteer at the same time? (I did only because my primary appointment was as a researcher).

But most importantly, I agree with snoopy - do what you want to do.

Hope this helps,

Geo

[This message has been edited by GeoLeoX (edited 07-19-2000).]

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you know how many med school applicants can say they played a Div I sport? Well, I can assure you the answer is relatively tiny compared to the number that volunteered and did research. And that could be a good thing. Do what you love. Chances are, your athletic abilities may even make you stand out and be viewed in a refreshingly different light than the typical volunteer/research premed. If you try to do what you *think* adcoms want you to do, they you will end up like all the "mediclones" out there applying. Are you able to squeeze in 2-4 hours a week to volunteer over the weekend? If so, do that and keep soccer. However, if you find that soccer gets in the way of your studies, then you should perhaps stop. Maintaining good grades is important over any sort of extracurricular activity. You do want to get some sort of clinical experience, but you can always do that by shadowing a doctor and volunteering at a hospital *during the summer*. And do it because you want to see if medicine is right for you, not because you want to make yourself right for medicine.

I played JV volleyball in college and it was one of the best experiences I had in college. It kept me focused, in shape, and well-balanced. I volunteered during the weekends and during summer. Even did research during the summer. [Hated the research!] So don't give up what you love or you end up giving up a part of yourself--the part medical schools would have liked to have seen. Best of luck!

[This message has been edited by carolyn (edited 07-19-2000).]

I played div 1 football while in college, and I can tell you that several members of the adcom were very impressed. The ability to make good grades while dovoting countless hours to practices, games, and road trips definitly displays the type of stamina and persistence necessary for completing med school. I would say as long as you can keep your GPA up play, and definitly play if you're on scholarship. you'll have plenty of time in med school to ring up the bills.