To Postpone of Not Postpone

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starri

Sarcastic Psychiatrist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry to lead off a new thread with my neuroses, but I guess I'm just looking for advice.

Right now, I'm scheduled to take MCATs on 05/31. My scores on practice tests have bounced around from mid-twenties to low-30s, I've been pondering pushing my test date back until July 6, which would mean that I'd have more time to study, which means I wouldn't get scores until August. I've asked opinions from my Kaplan advisor (he said that it wouldn't be that big of a detriment), and he said no. I also asked for opinions from Old Pre-Meds which said that I would severely limited in my ability to get an interview for acceptance (I'm applying both MD and DO). I would rather push it back, but if it's going to cut my chances by 50-75%

Does anyone here have any advise? Am I shooting myself in the foot not doing it as early as possible?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, rather than surrender myself to mindless panic last night, I actually went through and called the admissions offices for every single school to which I want to apply. The only one I couldn't reach was VCU , because they were having some kind of administrative function yesterday. Of the other 10-11 I called, the only one who said to do it as early as possible was Boston University, but nearly everyone else, both MD and DO said that they take the rolling applications seriously. Several of the DO schools said they were interviewing people (and not for the waiting list) up until a few weeks ago.

Well, rather than surrender myself to mindless panic last night, I actually went through and called the admissions offices for every single school to which I want to apply. The only one I couldn't reach was VCU , because they were having some kind of administrative function yesterday. Of the other 10-11 I called, the only one who said to do it as early as possible was Boston University, but nearly everyone else, both MD and DO said that they take the rolling applications seriously. Several of the DO schools said they were interviewing people (and not for the waiting list) up until a few weeks ago.

Niceee :)

Members don't see this ad :)
hmm I'm getting worried as well, My test is pretty much in 2 weeks and I'm not even sniffing a 30, I'm wondering if I should postpone. My initial plan was to take my test (may 19) and schedule for another test after the grace period.

I went down for 05/19 originally, and I realized that there was no way I would be ready in time. So I pushed it to the 31st, and I'm going to see how I'm doing this week before I decide if I want to push again. But I have an amazing husband who believes in me even when I don't believe in myself.

I went down for 05/19 originally, and I realized that there was no way I would be ready in time. So I pushed it to the 31st, and I'm going to see how I'm doing this week before I decide if I want to push again. But I have an amazing husband who believes in me even when I don't believe in myself.

If it's any consolation to you, I never got past a 28 on my practice exams and scored a 32 on the actual exam.That and I felt great about my score after the practice exam but utterly terrible after the real exam. I was really concerned about my practice exam scores throughout the studying but couldn't push back the test date since I had already scheduled PTO from work (to study for MCAT) and had other priorities in May. I just went into the test knowing that I did the best that I kid. Thankfully, I don't have to relive that nightmare again, but now with my score & qualifications I can get my app in early.