To postpone or not postpone boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moedog45

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! This is one of those questions in which I recognize that I ultimately need to make the decision that is best for me but I thought I would consult the brain trust here.

I have just started a psychiatry fellowship. Additionally, I am in the process of moving and applying to jobs (not sure if it's too early or not; I guess that's a separate issue). I had assumed that I had no choice but to take the boards right after my residency completed, but now I see I can take it within 7 years of application. I was thinking that it might make more sense to take it next year. This way I can put the studying that I would be doing for the general psychiatry boards toward the addiction certification boards I would need to do next year.

Does this seem logical or even feasible? I want to ensure I'm not overlooking anything that would make this postponement not work.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Well from my viewpoint, since others are able to handle it (large majority), why could you not? That would be what I would be wondering if I was an employer end of next year. Sort of creates a red flag. Maybe folks do not care but I would. Everyone is moving, learning a new job, place, or even taking on attending responsibilities. I would think you would need a better reason.

Well from my viewpoint, since others are able to handle it (large majority), why could you not? That would be what I would be wondering if I was an employer end of next year. Sort of creates a red flag. Maybe folks do not care but I would. Everyone is moving, learning a new job, place, or even taking on attending responsibilities. I would think you would need a better reason.

That's a really good point. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Some jobs will pay more or prefer if you are board certified vs board eligible, so there is a benefit to completing it from that sense. I'm not sure that I personally would like to be studying for two different tests at the same time and you would need to balance the batching benefit versus your sanity/time to study. In general, I agree that one should take them right away unless something significant is occurring, but I also don't think deferring one you will be a huge issue, particularly as you remain in training.

Hey! This is one of those questions in which I recognize that I ultimately need to make the decision that is best for me but I thought I would consult the brain trust here.

I have just started a psychiatry fellowship. Additionally, I am in the process of moving and applying to jobs (not sure if it's too early or not; I guess that's a separate issue). I had assumed that I had no choice but to take the boards right after my residency completed, but now I see I can take it within 7 years of application. I was thinking that it might make more sense to take it next year. This way I can put the studying that I would be doing for the general psychiatry boards toward the addiction certification boards I would need to do next year.

Does this seem logical or even feasible? I want to ensure I'm not overlooking anything that would make this postponement not work.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice!

take it as soon as you can, also forget about studying for the addiction boards until you finish the general boards, don't put too much pressure on yourself by studying for everything at the same time. finish one exam, pass it, then study for the next one.

Definitely take it. I deferred my first year out of residency and felt the pressure my second year. I studied like hell and passed, but it was pretty stressful since I'd deferred the first year. Honestly, the general boards aren't that difficult. Most of the questions are straight forward and test concepts you already know. This isn't like one of the steps. Plus correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think you can take the addiction boards until you receive a passing score on the general boards so I don't think you can take addiction boards next year if you don't take the general boards this year.