To relax or not to relax last semester senior year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm107

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To any current dental students, would you suggest taking a relaxing or rigorous course load the last semester of senior year? I have already taken several upper-level biology courses, and have all my pre-reqs completed, but I am not sure if I should take a break or not before dental school. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To any current dental students, would you suggest taking a relaxing or rigorous course load the last semester of senior year? I have already taken several upper-level biology courses, and have all my pre-reqs completed, but I am not sure if I should take a break or not before dental school. Thanks in advance for any advice.
RELAXING. No question.

Maybe wait till you get in somewhere though. If you have to apply again next year, it’s better to take a harder course load your last semester so you can bring up your gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Its-Me-G. If you get accepted then relax. You’ll need to rest before dental school starts. If not hit it hard this spring and WOW the admissions board next year.

if your GPA is good and you get accepted then go ahead and relax and you can breeze through with B's or even C's if you want...BUT if you don't get in and your GPA is bad definitely focus on studying and doing well.

Maybe wait till you get in somewhere though. If you have to apply again next year, it’s better to take a harder course load your last semester so you can bring up your gpa
People take a harder course load to bring up their GPA? :wtf:

If you got accepted into a school, then relax.

If not, then keep that GPA as high as possible.

I could’ve taken a certain bio class and gotten a double major in bio and the major I graduated with, but I decided to take it easy and not take that class. I don’t regret not getting that second major at all

I took it easy. I had one "real" class and the rest were pretty much fluff. Accepted no problem and had a nice time before the craziness of dental school.

Class load wise, take it easy for sure. Last semester before D-School I was under the threshold hours-wise for full time student. Class wise, take something that'll be helpful so your semester doesn't drag on forever and you actually accomplish something at the end of it. I took A&P and Spanish classes for fun (didn't need the credits or anything). Not super stressful b/c I was already in and I wasn't stressing about getting an A and it was pretty helpful for the first half of Anatomy. Kept me sane for the semester because I was really itching to be done and get out of there.

Also if you sign up for it now and give the school your schedule, if you get in, they don't like it when you back out so you have to stick with it for the most part.

If you want to make dental school a bit easier I'd recommend taking an anatomy, histology, or immunology class.

I took histology my last semester of undergrad and because of it I barely had to study histology in dental school my first semester.

I think it's cute how you guys are not sure he got into d school. Didn't you know he has a guarantee acceptance? Why else would he be posting this question??

Also if you sign up for it now and give the school your schedule, if you get in, they don't like it when you back out so you have to stick with it for the most part.

Based off of what you said, I have a question, I had originally put on my application that I will be taking histology during the upcoming Winter 2018 semester (January-April) but my school isn't even offering that class during that semester, should I go through the hassle of taking it as a guest student at another university just for sake of maintaining my app or is it okay if I take some completely different bio classes instead and update AADSAS with that info?

Based off of what you said, I have a question, I had originally put on my application that I will be taking histology during the upcoming Winter 2018 semester (January-April) but my school isn't even offering that class during that semester, should I go through the hassle of taking it as a guest student at another university just for sake of maintaining my app or is it okay if I take some completely different bio classes instead and update AADSAS with that info?

In the same boat. Was planning on taking histology but they don’t offer it in the spring for some reason. I don’t think they’ll mind since it’s not a prerequisite

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it's cute how you guys are not sure he got into d school. Didn't you know he has a guarantee acceptance? Why else would he be posting this question??

SDN drama is so lame.

Last edited: